, Salem, MA

January 30, 2014

Judge orders man held in lewdness case


---- — SALEM — A Salem man was sent to jail yesterday after being charged for the second time with engaging in lewd acts on an MBTA commuter train.

Adam Morrissey, 19, of 64 Palmer St., was already awaiting trial in a similar incident last October when he was arrested and charged with open and gross lewdness, stemming from an incident on Jan. 18. He pleaded not guilty during his arraignment yesterday in Salem District Court.

Police say Morrissey, a dishwasher at Addison Gilbert Hospital in Gloucester, boarded the train at one of the Gloucester stops on the evening of Jan. 18. He sat down next to a 15-year-old girl and began masturbating, prosecutor Alexander Grimes said.

The girl, who told police she was shocked, took a series of photos of Morrissey in the act, Grimes told Judge Matthew Nestor.

After the MBTA Transit Police released one of the photos — the only one showing him fully clothed — to the public yesterday, they immediately began receiving anonymous calls identifying the suspect as Morrissey.

The tips led police to Addison Gilbert Hospital’s cafeteria, where they spoke to him and showed him the photo.

“That’s definitely me,” Morrissey told the T officers, and he later admitted that he had been on the train that evening, according to a police report.

In October, Morrissey was arrested by Beverly police after he allegedly did the same thing on a commuter rail train in front of a 28-year-old woman, who screamed.

In that case, Morrissey, who began yelling to other passengers that the woman was “crazy,” was also charged with disorderly conduct on a public conveyance. He had been free on personal recognizance while awaiting trial in that case.

The prosecutor asked the judge not only to set bail on the new charge, but to revoke Morrissey’s release in the earlier incident.

Morrissey’s attorney, Chris Beares, opposed the request, arguing that Morrissey “definitely has some mental health issues that are not being addressed.”

“We have a gentleman here who is in need of mental health treatment, not jail,” Beares argued.

He even offered to have Morrissey stop riding the T as a condition of his release.

But Nestor granted the prosecutor’s requests, setting $1,000 bail on the new case and revoking his release in the October incident for up to 60 days.

Morrissey, who had been released from custody by Transit Police, was taken back into custody in the courtroom and sent to Middleton Jail.

A pretrial conference is scheduled for Feb. 21.

Courts reporter Julie Manganis can be reached at 978-338-2521, via email at or on Twitter @SNJulieManganis.