SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Local News

May 1, 2013

Firefighters quickly extinguish house fire

SALEM — Fire officials say an improperly discarded cigarette probably caused the house fire that crews quickly extinguished on Pratt Street yesterday afternoon.

Firefighters responded to a 5:10 p.m. report of a blaze at the back of 14 Pratt St. and determined that the shingles on the side of the three-story building had caught fire, Deputy fire Chief James Lynch said.

The house was evacuated and firefighters doused the area with a hose and then tore up the shingles, checking to see if the fire had extended to the structure, but it hadn’t, Lynch said. Firefighters also went into the building to inspect for extension.

It took about 20 minutes to fully extinguish the blaze.

Firefighters found a melted plastic bucket with cigarettes in it near the area of the blaze and determined that a cigarette was likely to blame, Lynch said. He estimated the damage at between $1,000 and $2,000.

The building’s occupants were let back inside after the incident.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

AP Video
Captain of Sunken SKorean Ferry Arrested Raw: Fire Destroys 3 N.J. Beachfront Homes Raw: Pope Presides Over Good Friday Mass Raw: Space X Launches to Space Station Superheroes Descend on Capitol Mall Man Charged in Kansas City Highway Shootings Obama Awards Navy Football Trophy Anti-semitic Leaflets Posted in Eastern Ukraine Raw: Magnitude-7.2 Earthquake Shakes Mexico City Ceremony at MIT Remembers One of Boston's Finest Raw: Students Hurt in Colo. School Bus Crash Raw: Church Tries for Record With Chalk Jesus Raw: Faithful Celebrate Good Friday Worldwide Deadly Avalanche Sweeps Slopes of Mount Everest Police Arrest Suspect in Highway Shootings Drought Concerns May Hurt Lake Tourism Vermont Goat Meat Gives Refugees Taste of Home Calif. Investigators Re-construct Fatal Bus Cras Mayor Rob Ford Launches Re-election Campaign Appellate Court Hears Okla. Gay Marriage Case
Comments Tracker