, Salem, MA

January 29, 2013


The Salem News

---- — Beverly


Police received a 7:20 p.m. report of a dispute between a father and his daughter’s boyfriend at 5 Ashton St. “Father wanted his daughter’s boyfriend removed from his residence,” police wrote. The boyfriend subsequently departed.


A 12:10 a.m. report that somebody was throwing Christmas trees out of a white pickup truck brought an officer to Brimbal Avenue and Colon Street. Two trees were moved to the roadside, according to the log.

An employee of Fast Freddie’s on Dodge Street was transported to Beverly Hospital with a possible shoulder injury after being struck by a vehicle around 9 a.m. An officer said the man had been kneeling on the ground to perform maintenance work when a driver, not seeing him because of the height of his vehicle, backed into him. No citations were issued.



Bishwa Ganguly, 40, of Boston was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct at the Marriott Hotel, 8A Centennial Drive, at 1:10 a.m.

A report of graffiti on five trucks owned by Tobin & Sons moving company, 3A Summit Industrial Park, was filed at 6:29 a.m.

An 8:27 a.m. report of an assault and battery with a dangerous weapon at 19 Washington St., Apt. 1, resulted in the arrest of Fransisco Rivera, 40, of the same address, on a charge of assault with a dangerous weapon (knife), and Gladys Rivera, 58, of the same address, on a charge of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (baseball bat).

Evil Ramirez, 41, of 30 Exchange St., Gloucester, was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct at the Marriott Hotel, 8A Centennial Drive, at 1:59 p.m. Ramirez was “accosting guests,” according to the log.

Mark Guy, 27, of Lynn was pulled over near 200 Jubilee Drive at 7:19 p.m. and arrested on charges of a lights violation and operating a vehicle with a suspended license — subsequent offense.

Douglas Gomez, 30, of Everett was arrested during a traffic stop at the intersection of Tremont and Mount Vernon streets at 11:16 p.m. and arrested on charges of operating with a license, revoked registration and operating without insurance.


Police responded to a crash at the intersection of Margin Street and South Shore Avenue at 1:40 a.m. and arrested Julio C. Brito, 38, 37 Roslyn St. Apt. 2, Salem, on charges of drunken driving, second offense; a marked lanes violation; and negligent operation. There were no injuries, according to the report.

Coach at the Northshore Mall reported at 10:44 a.m. that five handbags were stolen the day before.

Police responded to a 3:36 p.m. report that a female “was shot and hiding in the bathroom” at 38 County St. and determined that everything was fine and “no one was shot.”


A woman reported two men with a gun in the conservation area near North Central Street at 12:22 p.m. “She was concerned that the two may be trying to shoot eagles,” police wrote. An officer checked the area but was unable to locate them.



A Curtis Street youth reported that she had lost her phone on her way to Salem High School and that her father had texted with the man who apparently found it. The man had agreed to meet at the Hawthorne Hotel but never showed up; he subsequently said he would “give the phone back for $8.” When the father refused to pay, the man said he would “just throw the phone in the ocean.”

Jolene Schadhauser, 32, of 3 Lowe St., Peabody, was arrested on a charge of trespassing at 117 Lafayette St. around 9:30 p.m. She was also the subject of three outstanding warrants.


A 12:18 a.m. report of a domestic dispute brought police to 24 Norman St., where they arrested Gregory Digiovanni, 25, of the same address, on charges of domestic assault and battery and intimidation of a witness. Digiovanni reported to police at 12:42 p.m. the next afternoon that when he returned home from court he discovered a gold chain worth between $800 and $900 was missing from his dresser drawer and that “his apartment was left unlocked all last night.”

A Woodside Street man reported at 6:28 p.m. that his Ford Ranger had been stolen after he parked in front of his house and left the keys on the dashboard.

Police and the Fire Department responded to Boston and Bridge streets after a 9:30 a.m. report that fuel was leaking from a tractor-trailer. The leak was caused by a defective fuel filter, according to the log.

A 10:39 a.m. report of smoke in a building brought police and the Fire Department to 10 Colonial Road, where firefighters quickly knocked down a small blaze in the building’s lobby. A firefighter said the fire apparently began when a radiator overheated the wooden floor, causing it to catch fire. The fire then spread to a rug and a nearby wall. There were no injuries.

An officer watching for shoplifters at Walgreens at 29 New Derby St. saw a man pass by the registers while cradling “a large bulge under his coat,” according to a 3:26 p.m. report. The officer confronted the man and found two boxes of spring rolls and a roll of toilet paper on him. Joseph Nazarian, 58, of 44 Pingree St., Salem, was arrested on a charge of shoplifting. He was also the subject of a warrant.



A driver was transported to Beverly Hospital with unknown injuries after a single-car accident at 51 Newbury St., according to a state trooper. The accident was reported at 10:02 p.m.


Police responded to a 12:53 a.m. report of a dispute at the Twin Oaks Nursing Home at 63 Locust St. and arrested Marcos Beaman, 32, of the same address, on a charge of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.



Emergency personnel responded to Round Pond after a 2:45 p.m. report that somebody had fallen through the ice. A firefighter said the unidentified person, who was helped out of the water by a youth who was skating at the time, refused medical treatment and went home.



After a 4:12 p.m. report of an erratic driver on Boston Street, police arrested Jeffrey Palomo, 44, of 6 Powderhouse St., Amesbury, on charges of drunken driving, fifth offense; operating to endanger; and a marked lanes violation.



Police responded to a 5:28 p.m. report of a fight between a man and woman in front of a Humphrey Street liquor store. “One caller declined to leave name but said female was punching male and dragging along ground,” police wrote. A 45-year-old Marblehead man was subsequently taken into protective custody.