A three-alarm fire caused extensive damage to a Salem home and sent three people to area hospitals early this morning, fire officials said.
A pet cat perished in the fire, which started on a second-floor porch at 12 School St. shortly after 5 a.m., said Capt. John Payne of the Salem Fire Department. Two small dogs and another cat made it out safely.
The fire, deemed accidental, is believed to have been caused by a discarded cigarette that was blown underneath a clapboard and smoldered, Payne said. The second-floor tenant, Charlene Sylvestre, 53, told investigators that she had smoked a cigarette on the porch before going to bed. She usually discards her cigarettes in an urn on the porch. Investigators believe the wind early yesterday morning may have blown it out of the urn.
Hours later, she awoke to the sound of the front window "popping," said firefighter Richard Thomas. When she looked out, she saw flames. The woman grabbed her two dogs and ran outside, calling to the neighbors downstairs to get out.
Those tenants, Augustine Vega, 46, and Michelle Baldassari, 42, made it out as well. Their pet cat was missing for about an hour and a half, but emerged from the burning building unharmed, said Thomas.
For complete details, see tomorrow's Salem News.