SALEM — A Salem man charged with attacking a 60-year-old food delivery driver Sunday afternoon found himself back in handcuffs, after prosecutors moved to have him deemed a danger to the public and held without bail.
Timothy Gokey Jr., 28, of 9 Laurent Road had been free on $2,500 cash bail following his arrest on charges that include assault and battery with a dangerous weapon on a person over 60. But yesterday, during Gokey's arraignment in Salem District Court, he was ordered back into custody to await a hearing today to determine whether he poses a danger to the public.
If a judge decides he is dangerous, Gokey could be held without bail for up to 90 days.
Prosecutor Jane Prince told a judge that the victim, Francis Riggieri, suffered serious facial and head injuries, including a broken nose and multiple cuts, as well as back strain, when he was punched, slammed into his car hard enough to leave a dent and then slammed to the ground.
Gokey was angry that Riggieri had tried to open the door to what he thought was a common hallway, after getting no response to a knock on the door, the prosecutor said.
Riggieri initially declined medical attention but later went to the hospital, where he learned about the extent of his injuries.
Riggieri and his wife, who own Fran and Diane's Kitchen on Lafayette Street, were in court for the arraignment and will have to return to court to testify at today's hearing. His facial injuries were still visible yesterday.
Prince said she also plans to call witnesses and a police officer to testify at the hearing.
Gokey's lawyer, Benjamin Richard, objected to the request for a delay, saying that if prosecutors want to conduct a hearing, they should be required to do so immediately so that Gokey would not have to spend the night in jail.
Courts reporter Julie Manganis may be reached at 978-338-2521 or email@example.com.