SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

August 27, 2013

Officers' names withheld in shooting

Danvers: D.A. says details to come in final report

By Jonathan Phelps
Staff writer

---- — Law enforcement officials are continuing to withhold the names of the five Danvers police officers and a state trooper who were involved in the fatal shooting of a 37-year-old Danvers man last Thursday night.

Scott Kehoe, of 5113 Kirkbride Drive, the site of the former Danvers State Hospital, was shot and killed by police after he lunged at police with a knife, according to officials.

“It is under investigation, so until the investigation is complete, we aren’t releasing their names,” Carrie Kimball Monahan, a spokeswoman for District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett’s office, said yesterday.

According to the Danvers police log, Officer Dana Martin responded when police were first called to the apartment for a report of an assault at 9:52 p.m. Thursday. It is not clear whether Martin was among the officers at the scene when the shooting occurred.

Monahan declined to give any further details, including who was at the scene, how many bullets were fired, and the extent and nature of Kehoe’s injuries. Monahan said an initial autopsy for Kehoe has been completed, but she could not release the details.

“The D.A. (Blodgett) has indicated that he will conduct a full and thorough investigation and release a report to the public and media at the completion of the investigation,” Monahan said.

She did not know when the report would be finished or released.

“There is a lot of work associated with it, and it is underway,” she said.

Police Chief Neil Ouellette did not return a phone call seeking comment as of press time.

Police were at the apartment on the report of an assault and were also attempting to serve court warrants on Kehoe, the Essex district attorney’s office said previously.

The district attorney’s office said it appears Kehoe approached the officers holding a knife and made repeated attempts to stab at them. He ignored orders to drop the knife and then lunged toward officers — prompting police to shoot him, according to a press release from the district attorney’s office.

The officers, who are being interviewed, have all been placed on administrative leave pending the completion of an investigation, in accordance with department policy, Monahan said.

Kehoe, who was a longtime Peabody resident before moving to Danvers, had struggled for years with mental illness and substance abuse, a family friend confirmed. He has had prior scrapes with the law in Peabody in 2006 and 2007. More recently, he was facing charges of kidnapping and home invasion for an incident in February in South Boston and charges including resisting arrest for an incident at his Danvers apartment in June. He did not appear for court hearings on either incident, both scheduled earlier this month.

Kehoe was also facing eviction from his Avalon Danvers apartment, where he has lived since at least 2011.

Staff writer Jonathan Phelps can be reached at 978-338-2527 or by email at jphelps@salemnews.com. Follow him on Twitter at JPhelps_SN.