MARBLEHEAD — The Fire Department says the cause of a small duct fire it extinguished at a welding shop on Beacon Street yesterday morning is still under investigation.
Workers who were fiberglassing at the CW Hood Yachts boatyard at 3 Beacon St. smelled something burning about 11 a.m. and determined there was a small fire in an adjacent welding shop, said fire Lt. Michael Porter. The welder wasn’t working at the time.
Led by Capt. Gregg McLaughlin, Group 4 responded and quickly extinguished the blaze, which had somehow begun in the wooden ductwork above the shop. Firefighters took apart the duct and brought some burning materials out of the building; Porter said they did a “great job” and applauded them for being “precise” in taking the duct apart.
There were no injuries, and firefighters cleared the scene within an hour.