, Salem, MA

September 17, 2013

Man held in shooting that narrowly missed neighbor, infant


---- — SALEM — A Dorchester man, angry after being asked to leave a house party early Saturday morning, returned and opened fire on the Linden Street house, sending one bullet through a neighbor’s bedroom wall, a foot from where a woman was nursing a 61/2-week-old infant, police said.

Evans Timouche, 25, of 37 Fairmount St., Dorchester, is now being held without bail on a charge of home invasion.

No injuries were reported in the incident, which occurred shortly after 4 a.m. at 106 Linden St., near Salem State University, and resulted in multiple 911 calls to the police station from residents.

At least eight shots were fired, most of them as Timouche fled the house, police said.

One of the bullets went through the wall above the bed of the new mother, a 28-year-old woman, while she was nursing her daughter, born at the end of July, she told police.

Residents of the second-floor apartment told police that they had asked the shooter, whom they identified initially as “E,” and two of his friends to leave the party, according to court documents. A brief scuffle broke out, and then the three men left.

Two hours later, “E” and the other men returned, forcing their way into the second-floor apartment where the party was still taking place, according to court documents.

One of the men in the apartment forced the three out again. Timouche allegedly fired through the door, a bullet landing in a wall between the kitchen and bathroom.

As Timouche and the other men fled, Timouche continued firing, leaving a trail of spent shell casings in the hallway, on the walkway and on the sidewalk, court documents said. He and the other men left in two cars.

Police found two bullet holes in the walls of the first-floor apartment, including the one directly over the headboard of the tenant’s bed.

The second-floor tenants later admitted that they did know who “E” was, telling investigators that Timouche works with one of the men at Tufts Medical Center in Boston and that they had gone to a bar in Salem before returning to the man’s apartment after the bar closed.

Police obtained an arrest warrant and arrested Timouche in Boston yesterday morning.

During a brief court appearance before Salem District Court Judge Matthew Nestor, Timouche pleaded not guilty to the home invasion charge. Prosecutors filed a motion seeking that Timouche be held without bail as a danger.

Timouche’s attorney, Craig Mulcahy, asked the judge for 30 days to prepare for that hearing, an unusual request because the law concerning detention without bail usually allows the defense only seven days. Mulcahy said Timouche’s privately hired attorney was tied up on a murder trial in Fall River and would not be available.

Nestor agreed to the request, ordering Timouche to remain in custody at Middleton Jail pending the Oct. 16 hearing.

The investigation is being led by Salem police detective Sgt. Kristian Hanson, along with fellow detectives Lt. Steve Bona, Capt. Thomas Griffin, Sgt. James Page, Dennis Gaudet, Kevin St. Pierre and Brian St. Pierre, Sgt. Andrew Dacy, and Patrolmen Ryan Arundel and Derek Sears. Two Salem State University campus police officers assisted, as did state police troopers who happened to be at the police station investigating the unrelated death of a man who had died while trying to climb into a boat earlier in the night.

Courts reporter Julie Manganis can be reached at 978-338-2521, via email at or on Twitter @SNJulieManganis.