By Neil H. Dempsey
---- — PEABODY — Authorities say an unattended campfire caused the brush fire in the area of Winona Pond that kept firefighters from two communities busy yesterday afternoon.
There were no injuries, and no structures were affected by the blaze, which encompassed five acres and was first reported about 1 p.m., said Capt. Jay Dowling.
Peabody sent four engines with 11 firefighters to the fire, while three engines from Lynnfield accessed it from the Stafford Road side. Peabody firefighters used tank water to douse the blaze, as well as water pumped directly from Winona Pond.
Danvers and Salem provided station coverage during the incident.
Winona Pond is a source of drinking water for Peabody.
Firefighters were on scene until about 5:30 p.m.
The Fire Department was planning to check for hotspots in the area today.