- Local News
Introducing the first Salem News Best Bets contest
Do you have a favorite pizza place, hair salon or gift shop on the North Shore? Honor your favorite local businesses by voting in our first Best Bets contest. How it works: Fill in your favorite area businesses next to the categories listed on the ba
Beverly Tuesday A caller on Somerset Avenue reported at 1:19 p.m. that a window was shot with a pellet. Peabody Monday A caller from Herold Road reported getting threats via text message at 3:33 p.m. Multiple bands were reported playing in a building
Keenan won't run for re-election
State Rep. John Keenan said today that he will not seek re-election.
The five-term Democrat from Salem, who is chairman of the House Committee on Telecommunications, Utilities and Energy, said he will step down at the end of his current term in 2015.
Keenan, 48, said he waited to make his announcement until the future of the Salem Harbor Station power plant had become clearer. Last week, plant owner Footprint Power of New Jersey reached a settlement with the Conservation Law Foundation, an environmental group that had appealed state approvals of the project.
“I am thrilled that this project finally has a path to success now that a settlement has been reached,” Keenan said. “The looming question about what would happen to this site has been in the back of my mind since I served as city solicitor, and really one of the driving forces in wanting to run for office and get involved."
Council to forgo salary increases
Mayor and City Councilor Salaries Peabody Mayor: $105,000 City Councilor: $9,450 Council pay tied to mayor: Yes, 9 percent Beverly Mayor: $106,000* City Councilor: $11,700** Council pay tied to mayor: No Salem Mayor: $100,000 City Councilor: $10,000
Learning the ropes
It's 5:30 on a Thursday night at the West End Gym in Lowell, and school is about to begin for Charlie Espinal. Espinal, 18, attends Salem Community Charter School, designed for students who dropped out of Salem High. As part of the school's alternati
- Deputy chief gone but still collecting
- Salem man key player in today's casino vote
- Speliotis to talk safety to school board
- North Shore News in Brief
- Danvers RMV reopening delayed due to roof work
- Former court clerk seeks payout
- 12 applicants eligible for CPA funds in Salem
- Prep students build wooden boat
- Victim wanted boyfriend out of home
- Ukrainian turmoil felt in Salem
- Have you seen this deer?
- Citizens for Adequate Housing makes room for big family in Peabody
- North Shore News in Brief
- Danvers trailer roof collapses under weight of snow
- Slaying victim was trying to get boyfriend out of apartment
- Peabody man faces murder charge
- State OKs settlement between Footprint, CLF
- Second silver for Danvers native
- Willowdale neighbors blast proposed 12-unit subdivision
- Pot dispensary permit to include special conditions
- Pair charged in Danversport car breaks
- Introducing the first Salem News Best Bets contest