Photos: Irene hits the coast
Photos from Hurricane Irene on the eastern seaboard of the U.S.
- The Nation
For first time, stem cells produced from cloning technique
WASHINGTON -- For the first time, scientists have created human embryos that are genetic copies of living people and used them to make stem cells -- a feat that paves the way for treating a range of diseases with personalized body tissues but also ig
SLIDESHOW: Super Bowl by the numbers
The nation's biggest sporting event produces some staggering statistics, from the number of chicken wings consumed -- 1.25 billion -- to the amount of money some people plan to bet on the game.
Mullen visits Pakistan amid tensions over drones
The top U.S. military officer is visiting Pakistan at a time of tensions over America's role in the region.
Ariz. governor's vetoes of GOP bills lift eyebrows
Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer's vetoes of a half-dozen bills sponsored by fellow Republicans are raising eyebrows, with some conservatives questioning whether she is still one of them.
Never mind that she has signed more than 200 other bills from the GOP-led Legislature.
- Day of remembrance: 1 year after Gulf oil disaster
- Poll: Finances dictating college, career choices
- Porn company is amassing 1-800 numbers
- Motorcycle deaths drop, but trend is worrisome
- South looks to recover from killer twisters
- Obama: Congress will compromise, raise debt limit
- Tucson shooting suspect's school releases records
- Likely GOP contenders plot tea party strategies
- Poll: Are your taxes fair? Most say yes
- Obama team hopes to coax back online donors
- Who fired first Civil War shot? A dispute in Fla.
- Revere officer faces federal charges
- What's in a name? It may link Calif, NY cold cases
- Obama pivots, eyes Medicare changes, tax increases
- Budget tricks helped Obama save programs from cuts
- White House: Obama to lay out spending plan
- US blocks 350 suspected terrorists
- AP IMPACT: BP buys Gulf Coast millions in gear
- Analysis: GOP won first round of budget battle
- Shutdown avoided, White House, Congress cheer deal
- Jury wastes little time acquitting Cuban militant
- Boeing 737s around the world face new scrutiny
- Time's up: Obama and GOP scramble to halt shutdown
- Poll: Few confident US ready for nuclear emergency
- GOP prepares 1-week extension as shutdown looms
- For first time, stem cells produced from cloning technique