- The Nation
Obama administration: Shutdown would hurt economy
Warning of economic repercussions, the Obama administration said Wednesday that a government shutdown would halt the processing of tax returns and limit small business loans and government-guaranteed mortgages during peak home buying season.
FAA orders inspections of 737s with many landings
The airliner whose roof ripped open 34,000 feet over Arizona has had a busy 15-year life: taking off and touching down more than seven times a day, on average, and possibly developing microscopic cracks in its aluminum skin each time.
NY police to resume search for bodies near beach
The number of victims of a suspected serial killer on New York's Long Island has doubled in the past week following the discovery of three more corpses along a remote beach highway.
Medical marijuana users fight for gun rights
Cynthia Willis calls up and down the firing range to be sure everyone knows she is shooting, squares up in a two-handed stance with her Walther P-22 automatic pistol and fires off a clip in rapid succession.
Willis is not only packing a concealed handgun permit in her wallet, she also has a medical marijuana card. That combination has led the local sheriff to try to take her gun permit away.
NTSB: Cracks found in 3 grounded Southwest planes
Three more Southwest Airlines jetliners have small, subsurface cracks that are similar to the cracks suspected of playing a role in the fuselage tear of a Boeing 737-300, causing the aircraft to lose pressure and forcing a frightening emergency landing, officials say.
- For Romney, 2012 strategy runs through NH, Nevada
- Sheen bombs on opening night of 20-city stage tour
- FDA proposes calorie counts on menus
- Tucson shooting victim honored with 9/11 memory
- Fuselage hole forces Southwest emergency landing
- Japan's tsunami debris to hit West Coast
- Clintons, Mondale among mourners at Ferraro rites
- Democrats lack a heavy hitter against Sen. Brown
- House GOP wants to use tax code to curb abortions
- Watergate gets new makeover at the Nixon library
- Ohio House to vote on collective bargaining limits
- Las Vegas embraces mob roots with new attractions
- Fatal bus accidents renew interest in safety bill
- Proposal to tax Calif. beekeepers stirs up swarm
- Long blackouts pose risk to US reactors
- Fight over Wis. union law heads to court
- NASA: Mars rover, phone home after yearlong sleep
- Obama to lay out his case on Libya to nation
- New Jersey man protests routine strip search
- First female VP candidate Ferraro dies at 75
- Medicare rise could mean no Social Security COLA
- Winning Mega Millions tix worth $319M sold in N.Y.
- Gaps in US radiation monitoring system revealed
- Jesuits settle NW abuse claims for $166 million
- Napolitano: US border towns with Mexico are safe
- Obama administration: Shutdown would hurt economy