- The Nation
Liz Taylor buried in small ceremony at LA cemetery
Elizabeth Taylor's funeral started late — just the way the screen legend wanted it.
Her family held a brief private service Thursday at a Southern California cemetery famous for being the final resting place of Hollywood celebrities, including her good friend Michael Jackson.
New census milestone: Hispanics to hit 50 million
In a surprising show of growth, Hispanics accounted for more than half of the U.S. population increase over the last decade, exceeding estimates in most states. Pulled by migration to the Sun Belt, America's population center edged westward on a historic path to leave the Midwest.
EPA pursues Michigan's largest coal-fired plant
A Michigan utility spent $65 million last year replacing key parts at the state's largest coal-fired power plant. When regulators found out, they hauled the company into court for what it didn't do: Spend millions more at the same time to greatly eliminate air pollution.
Welcome back: Big political challenges greet Obama
Returning home to some messy politics, President Barack Obama must contend with a battery of challenges, from a spending standoff that threatens to shut down the government to congressional angst over the U.S.-led war against Libya. Foreign crises rage across Africa and the Middle East, and Americans still want a more quickly improving economy.
Film legend Elizabeth Taylor dies at 79 in LA
Screen legend Elizabeth Taylor, the violet-eyed film goddess whose sultry screen life was often upstaged by her stormy personal life, died Wednesday at age 79.
- Lead, other chemicals taint some urban gardens
- Japan quake serves as reminder for Californians
- Boston hospital performs full face transplant
- Economy's strain on local governments grows severe
- Former Secretary of State Warren Christopher dies
- Judge blocks contentious Wisconsin union law
- Top lawmaker protests 'whistle-blower' demotion
- US authorizes American evacuations out of Japan
- US life expectancy surpasses 78, a new record
- Obama's team seeks new ways to fire up his base
- Calif. port town attracts tsunamis
- Tsunami surge deals blow to struggling Calif. town
- Calif., Ore. sustained most damage from tsunami
- NYFD: 13 dead in Bronx tour bus accident
- Libya poses difficult question for candidates
- Illinois abolishes death penalty, clears death row
- Scientists dig for Ice Age fossils in Los Angeles
- Blagojevich asks to cancel trial
- Female GIs struggle with higher rate of divorce
- New Guantanamo trials could include 9/11 suspects
- Anti-tax pledge directs budget debates nationwide
- Late-winter wallop shocks New England, upstate NY
- Romney, novice no more, focuses on Obama, economy
- Shuttle Discovery leaving space station last time
- White House promotes Muslim help against terrorism
- Liz Taylor buried in small ceremony at LA cemetery