SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Nation/World

January 10, 2014

Ex-NBAer Rodman apologizes for comments on jailed American

PYONGYANG, North Korea — Dennis Rodman apologized yesterday for comments he made in North Korea about a detained American missionary, saying he had been drinking and was under pressure as he organized a game with former NBA players.

The former basketball star issued the apology through publicist Jules Feiler in an email message to The Associated Press, a day after he sang “Happy Birthday” to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at the start of the friendly game.

Rodman has been slammed for not using his influence with Kim to help free Kenneth Bae, the missionary in poor health who is being confined in North Korea for “anti-state” crimes. In an interview with CNN on Tuesday, Rodman implied Bae was at fault.

“I want to apologize,” Rodman said yesterday. “I take full responsibility for my actions. It had been a very stressful day. Some of my teammates were leaving because of pressure from their families and business associates. My dreams of basketball diplomacy was quickly falling apart. I had been drinking. It’s not an excuse but by the time the interview happened I was upset. I was overwhelmed. It’s not an excuse, it’s just the truth.”

Rodman said he wanted to apologize first to Bae’s family. “I’m very sorry. At this point I should know better than to make political statements. I’m truly sorry.”

In the interview, Rodman was asked whether he would raise the issue of Bae during his visit.

“Kenneth Bae did one thing,” Rodman replied. “If you understand what Kenneth Bae did — do you understand what he did in this country?”

Asked to explain, Rodman declined to respond.

Bae, a Korean-American Christian missionary and tour operator based in China, has been detained for more than a year. North Korea sees missionary work as a threat to its authoritarian government.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Nation/World

Local News
  • 140422_SN_KYU_MOVE Probate Court set to move out this week SALEM -- History will be made at the end of this week when the staff at Essex Probate & Family Court exits its building for a new home. This will be the first time since the Federal Street courthouse opened in 1909 that the staff has had to relocate.

    April 23, 2014 1 Photo

  • Pipeline company details likely project impacts Algonquin outlines remediation plans for noise, dust Pipeline:Text ColorSwatch/NoneStrokeStyle/$ID/SolidText ColorSwatch/NoneStrokeStyle/$ID/Solid$ID/NothingText ColorText Color$ID/NothingText ColorText Color Text ColorSwatch/NoneStrokeStyle/$ID/Soli

    April 23, 2014

  • sinkhole Culvert work to close stretch of Route 62 Culvert: Drivers face temporary closure of road Culvert work to close stretch of Route 62

    April 23, 2014 1 Photo

  • One-time 'Warrior Brother' facing new charges

    BEVERLY -- A Salem man who spent time in prison for a pair of violent muggings, one of which nearly killed a man in 2006, could be headed back there, after prosecutors say he attacked another man on Sunday. Timothy Share, 27, of 176 Lafayette St., w

    April 23, 2014 8 Stories

  • Wife refuses to testify against husband Two judges and Essex County prosecutors think Jefferson Purcell, who allegedly tried to strangle his wife with an electrical cord, poses a danger not only to his wife, but to the public. But yesterday, Purcell's wife told a third judge that she will

    April 23, 2014