SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Nation/World

March 8, 2014

Officer says US general sexually assaulted her

FORT BRAGG, N.C. — An Army captain at the center of a sexual assault case that has rocked the military testified yesterday that a general twice forced her to perform oral sex on him during their three-year, illicit affair.

Taking the stand on the first day of Brig. Gen. Jeffrey A. Sinclair’s court-martial, the woman said the assaults took place in Afghanistan in late 2011 as she grew increasingly despondent over their adulterous relationship.

Both times, she said, they got into arguments that ended with Sinclair unbuttoning his pants and forcing her head into his lap as she cried.

Sinclair, the 51-year-old former deputy commander of the storied 82nd Airborne Division, is believed to be the highest-ranking U.S. military officer ever court-martialed on sexual assault charges. He could get life in prison if found guilty.

The trial is unfolding with the Pentagon under heavy pressure to confront what it has called an epidemic of rape and other sexual misconduct in the ranks. On Thursday, the Senate rejected a bill that would have stripped commanders of authority to decide whether to prosecute serious crimes.

Sinclair’s accuser testified that the first assault took place in her office in Kandahar when she told him how she hated her life, hated working for him and believed the general was just using her for sex.

“He grabbed me by the back of the neck and pushed me down. I tried to pull back, and he put his other hand on my shoulder,” she said. “It felt disgusting. It felt like I had no control over my body.”

She said the second assault took place in his office days later after she asked him to move her to another job.

Asked why she did not come forward and report the two episodes until March 2012, she said: “I knew if I said anything, it would be my word against his and no one would believe me. I had no way out.”

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Nation/World

Local News
  • BREAKING: Market Basket board to consider sale to Arthur T. Demoulas

    BOSTON — Market Basket’s board of directors this afternoon announced it will consider offers to buy the company, including that from ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas. His offer will be considered “along with any other offers previously received and to b

    July 25, 2014 7 Stories

  • Drama builds today in Market Basket saga

    July 25, 2014

  • 140721_GT_MSP_MARKETBASKET_04 [Duplicate] Ousted CEO bids for Market Basket Arthur T. Demoulas' offer to buy the rest of the supermarket chain embroiled in a widespread protest and boycott was met with elation, and then a reality check, protest organizers said Thursday. Demoulas announced his offer Wednesday night, though he

    July 25, 2014 1 Photo

  • Mary Manning Police details probe could wrap up early SALEM -- The probe into alleged misconduct by police Capt. Brian Gilligan has begun, and officials say it looks like it will wrap up more quickly than initially expected -- possibly this summer. Chief Paul Tucker recently suspended Gilligan for five

    July 25, 2014 3 Photos

  • North Shore Community Calendar Friday, July 25 Ipswich: Friday Farm Dinners with Appleton Cooks!, 5 p.m., Appleton Farms, 219 County Road. Families and friends are invited for a relaxing evening watching the sunset over the Great Pasture and munching on fresh-from-the-farm food. D

    July 25, 2014