SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Nation/World

October 19, 2013

Destruction toll rises from Australian wildfires

SYDNEY — The destruction toll continued to rise from some of the most costly wildfires to ever strike Australia’s most populous state as firefighters prepared for worsening conditions.

In the Blue Mountains west of Sydney, one of the worst-hit regions in fire-ravaged New South Wales state, 193 homes have been destroyed and another 109 damaged by the fire storm that peaked Thursday, the Rural Fire Service announced yesterday.

The damage toll is more than double the last count announced Thursday and will continue to rise as assessment teams and police move deeper into the destruction zone in search of survivors and victims. Homes have been reported destroyed in other regions, but numbers are not yet available.

A 63-year-old man died of a heart attack Thursday while protecting his home from fire at Lake Munmorah, north of Sydney, and at least five people — including three firefighters — have been treated in hospitals for burns and smoke inhalation, officials said.

Police are investigating allegations that two girls aged 12 and 13 tried to light a fire in a woodland on Sydney’s western fringe yesterday. Firefighters were able to extinguish a small fire in that area without damage to property.

Police said in a statement the girls had been questioned and released. No charges had been laid, but an investigation was continuing.

Arson investigators are examining the origins of several of more than 100 fires that have threatened towns surrounding Sydney in recent days.

The wildfires have been extraordinarily intense and extraordinarily early in an annual fire season that peaks during the forthcoming southern hemisphere summer that begins in December.

Around 1,500 firefighters have been back-burning to contain blazes since winds and temperatures became milder yesterday. Several roads in fire-affected areas north, west and south of Sydney have been closed.

Yesterday, 83 fires were burning across the state, including 19 uncontained blazes.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Nation/World

Local News
  • Superior officers still without a contract

    BEVERLY -- Contract negotiations between the city and the Beverly Police Superior Officers Association remain at an impasse nearly three years after their last agreement expired. The two sides have met with a mediator several times, including last Fr

    April 18, 2014

  • Lederman decides against vying for school board seat

    MARBLEHEAD -- Controversial former school board member Jonathan Lederman has decided to abandon his quest to regain a seat on the committee. "I was -- for the record -- a reluctant candidate," he said. But he feels that on the heels of announcing hi

    April 18, 2014

  • Danvers won't have farmers market this year

    DANVERS -- The Rotary Club has withdrawn its proposal to open a farmers market downtown, saying the idea needs more time to take root. Instead, they hope to return to selectmen next year with a more comprehensive plan. "It wasn't an easy decision by

    April 18, 2014

  • North Shore residents to run in 2014 Boston Marathon

    The Salem News asked those on the North Shore who are running this year's Boston Marathon to share their reasons for running. 

    If you're running the marathon this year, it's not too late to share why you're running. Send a brief paragraph, a photo of yourself and a link to your fundraising site (if applicable) to Cheryl Richardson at crichardson@salemnews.com.

    April 17, 2014

  • chesskid Brace yourself, 'Salem' is now a TV show SALEM -- Ready or not, here comes "Salem." On Sunday night at 10, WGN American will debut its new series about the Salem Witch Trials, an attempt by a largely regional cable station to grab a national audience. The show has been much ballyhooed as th

    April 18, 2014 3 Photos