SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Nation/World

November 13, 2013

Father pleads guilty to murder of infant son

LAWRENCE — As the baby’s mother and other relatives sobbed in court, Alexis Medina, 26, yesterday pleaded guilty to murdering his 4-month-old son and namesake after Christmas three years ago.

Infant Alexis Medina Jr., who was nicknamed “Junior,” suffered multiple rib fractures and bruising. An autopsy revealed the cause of his death was suffocation.

Medina, a father of four who was previously jailed for 18 months for fracturing an older daughter’s skull, was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole, after pleading guilty to second-degree murder of Junior, who was born on Sept. 8, 2010.

In an agreement reached between the prosecution and defense, Medina, a former machinist, pleaded guilty to second-degree, not first-degree, murder as originally charged. A first-degree murder conviction carries a penalty of life in prison without parole.

“Obviously, this is a huge loss to you. No parent should lose a child. Terrible,” said Superior Court Judge Richard Welch to Jocelyn DeJesus, 27, the baby’s mother, who gave a victim impact statement in Lawrence Superior Court yesterday morning.

“There will always be a large piece of my heart missing for my son Junior,” DeJesus told Welch. “ ... It’s like my soul died inside. I will never get to hear him cry or laugh. We will never see him grow up.”

DeJesus sat among a dozen relatives and friends in court — many crying and sobbing loudly at times. Some wore T-shirts with Junior’s pictures on them.

Police were called to the 4 Inman St., #19 apartment Medina and DeJesus shared at 10:15 a.m. on Dec. 28, 2010. The child was nonresponsive, had no pulse and was vomiting when rescuers arrived. He was taken to Lawrence General Hospital, where a heartbeat was restored, and later transferred to Tufts Medical Center in Boston where he died the next day, said prosecutor Kate MacDougall

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Nation/World

Local News
  • Possible sites for garage revealed SALEM -- Salem State officials have announced three possible locations for the school's proposed 800-space parking garage and say a final decision on the site could be made within weeks. Parking has long been an issue for the school, and the demand f

    April 16, 2014

  • Serial drunken driver found guilty PEABODY -- A serial drunken driver, who was charged with yet another OUI, was found guilty by a jury Monday afternoon in Lawrence Superior Court. Prosecutors now need to prove it was the man's fifth drunken-driving offense. Peter Hurley, 52, was arre

    April 16, 2014

  • casa de moda Beverly's Casa de Moda to close BEVERLY -- Casa de Moda, the unique specialty store that has dressed up an often struggling downtown for more than four decades, is closing. Janice Preston, who has owned and operated the store with her husband, Don, since 1969, said yesterday that t

    April 16, 2014 1 Photo

  • North Shore residents to run in 2014 Boston Marathon

    The Salem News asked those on the North Shore who are running this year's Boston Marathon to share their reasons for running. 

    If you're running the marathon this year, it's not too late to share why you're running. Send a brief paragraph, a photo of yourself and a link to your fundraising site (if applicable) to Cheryl Lecesse at clecesse@salemnews.com.

    April 4, 2014

  • superfund Superfund work about to begin

    Testing to get underway at former Danvers tannery site Superfund work about to begin

    April 16, 2014 1 Photo