Weeks of work went into collecting pictures of the entire planet to create a remarkable look at night on Earth.
The Suomi National Polar-orbiting Partnership Satellite took the images as a joint project for NASA and the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration. The brightly-lit ground below shows where people live and work, as well as national borders and natural obstacles.
Ukraine military secures airport from attack
KRAMATORSK, Ukraine -- In the first Ukrainian military action against a pro-Russian uprising in the east, government forces said they clashed yesterday with about 30 armed gunmen at a small airport. The clash came hours after Ukraine's acting preside
Kansas shooting suspect had no record of violence
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. -- Never one to keep his hatred to himself, Frazier Glenn Cross for decades sought out any soapbox to espouse his white-supremacist beliefs, twice running for federal office with campaigns steeped in anti-Semitism. Yet there's sca
Police: Utah mom admitted to killing her 6 babies
PLEASANT GROVE, Utah (AP) -- Megan Huntsman was clear about what she did with six of her newborn babies. Huntsman, 39, told police she either strangled or suffocated them immediately after they were born. She wrapped their bodies in a towel or a shir
NASA OKs space station visit despite dead computer
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) -- NASA is pressing ahead with today's planned launch of a supply ship despite a critical computer outage at the International Space Station, promising the situation is safe. Mission managers decided yesterday to proceed wit
Dreams dashed in fatal college tour bus crash
ORLAND, Calif. -- It was a busload of opportunity: young, low-income, motivated students, destined to become the first in their families to go to college, journeying from the concrete sprawl of Los Angeles to a remote redwood campus 650 miles north.
- Syria death toll from rebel infighting rises to 68
- Australians confident sounds are from Flight 370
- Rosa Parks archives remain unsold in warehouse
- Putin: Ukraine debt threatens Europe gas supplies
- Former pro wrestler Ultimate Warrior dies at 54
- More 'pings' raise hopes Flight 370 will be found
- Ship hunts for more 'pings' in Malaysia jet search
- Jury convicts woman in Texas stiletto shoe killing
- Ukraine tries to quell pro-Moscow uprisings
- Iconic Hollywood actor Mickey Rooney dies at 93
- Whitey Bulger backs man's efforts at freedom
- In blind test, soloists like new violins over old
- Obama: Students need help to get 'in-demand jobs'
- AP photographer killed, reporter wounded
- Kerry: US reconsiders role in Middle East peace talks
- Fort Hood gunman had argument with other soldiers
- Fort Hood gunman showed no prior sign of violence
- 8.0 quake strikes northern Chile
- NATO allies pledge to beef up eastern defenses
- NHACLU challenges Timberlane gag order
- Timberlane asked to restore "Sweeney Todd"
- Former Lantigua aide found guilty
- Russia pulls back a battalion from Ukraine border
- Seabed of jet hunt zone mostly flat with one trench
- Rural residents confront higher health care costs
- Ukraine military secures airport from attack