Weeks of work went into collecting pictures of the entire planet to create a remarkable look at night on Earth.
The Suomi National Polar-orbiting Partnership Satellite took the images as a joint project for NASA and the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration. The brightly-lit ground below shows where people live and work, as well as national borders and natural obstacles.
South Africans mourn, celebrate Mandela, dead at 95
JOHANNESBURG -- As the news of Nelson Mandela's death spread across South Africa, residents of Soweto gathered in the streets near the house where he once lived, singing and dancing to mourn his death and celebrate his colossal life. The people of So
Clashes sweep Central Africa Republic capital
BANGUI, Central African Republic -- Wielding rifles and machetes, armed Christian fighters who support the Central African Republic's exiled president assaulted the capital at dawn yesterday leaving nearly 100 people dead. Shrouded bodies were lined
Union official says NYC train engineer 'nodded'
by JIM FITZGERALD and TOM HAYS Associated Press Union official says NYC train engineer 'nodded'
NTSB: Train going too fast at curve
YONKERS, N.Y. -- A commuter train that derailed over the weekend, killing four passengers, was hurtling at 82 mph as it entered a 30 mph curve, a federal investigator said yesterday. But whether the wreck was the result of human error or mechanical t
NYC train derailment in Bronx kills 4
NEW YORK (AP) -- A New York City commuter train rounding a riverside curve derailed yesterday, killing four people and injuring more than 60 in a crash that threw some riders from toppling cars and swiftly raised questions about whether excessive spe
- NTSB officials examine Alaska crash wreckage
- Officials: Speed a factor in Walker's deadly crash
- Man charged in crash that killed couple
- Scientists hopeful comet survived sun encounter
- Syrian refugee children work, provide
- China sends fighters to ID flights
- Brazil under pressure after collapse
- Bulger moved out of state
- Mohegan Sun, Suffolk Downs partner
- Thanksgiving includes gluten-free pies and all
- Dozens of felons freed after court ruling
- US bombers cross China's claimed air defense zone for 'training'
- Judge rejects OJ Simpson's bid for new trial
- Prosecutor demands guilty verdict for Knox
- Prosecutor: Conn. gunman's motive still a mystery
- Grand jury charges 4 more in Ohio rape case
- Business group may be open to minimum wage hike
- Afghans ponder restoring of stoning for adulterers
- FCC chairman says he opposes in-flight calls
- Federal judge grants stay of execution in Missouri
- Soldier: Minneapolis man ordered Nazi-led attack
- Forecasts, warnings spared lives from tornadoes
- EPA proposes reducing ethanol in fuel
- Toronto council strips Ford of powers
- California boy with leukemia becomes 'Batkid' for day
- South Africans mourn, celebrate Mandela, dead at 95