SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Nation/World

August 24, 2013

Villagers unsatisfied by life sentence for Bales

JOINT BASE LEWIS-MCCHORD, Wash. — The U.S. soldier who massacred 16 Afghan civilians last year in one of the worst atrocities of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars was sentenced yesterday to life in prison with no chance of parole — the most severe sentence possible, but one that left surviving victims and relatives of the dead deeply unsatisfied.

“We wanted this murderer to be executed,” said Hajji Mohammad Wazir, who lost 11 family members in the attack by Staff Sgt. Robert Bales. “We were brought all the way from Afghanistan to see if justice would be served. Not our way — justice was served the American way.”

Bales, 40, pleaded guilty in June in a deal to avoid the death penalty for his March 11, 2012, raids near his remote outpost in Kandahar province, when he stalked through mud-walled compounds and shot 22 people — 17 of them women and children. Some screamed for mercy, while others didn’t even have a chance to get out of bed.

The only possible sentences were life in prison without parole, or life with the possibility of release after 20 years. The soldier showed no emotion as the six jurors chose the former after deliberating for less than two hours.

His mother, sitting in the front row of the court, bowed her head, rocked in her seat, and wept.

An interpreter flashed a thumbs-up sign to a row of Afghan villagers who were either wounded or lost family members in the March 11, 2012, attacks.

“I saw his mother trying to cry, but at least she can go visit him,” Hajji Mohammad Naim, who was shot in the neck, said after the sentencing. “What about us? Our family members are actually 6 feet under.”

The villagers, who traveled nearly 7,000 miles to testify against Bales, spoke with reporters through an interpreter and asked what it would be like for someone to break into American homes and slaughter their families. A boy of about 13 displayed a scar from a bullet wound to his leg.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Nation/World

Local News
  • Superior officers still without a contract

    BEVERLY -- Contract negotiations between the city and the Beverly Police Superior Officers Association remain at an impasse nearly three years after their last agreement expired. The two sides have met with a mediator several times, including last Fr

    April 18, 2014

  • Lederman decides against vying for school board seat

    MARBLEHEAD -- Controversial former school board member Jonathan Lederman has decided to abandon his quest to regain a seat on the committee. "I was -- for the record -- a reluctant candidate," he said. But he feels that on the heels of announcing hi

    April 18, 2014

  • Danvers won't have farmers market this year

    DANVERS -- The Rotary Club has withdrawn its proposal to open a farmers market downtown, saying the idea needs more time to take root. Instead, they hope to return to selectmen next year with a more comprehensive plan. "It wasn't an easy decision by

    April 18, 2014

  • North Shore residents to run in 2014 Boston Marathon

    The Salem News asked those on the North Shore who are running this year's Boston Marathon to share their reasons for running. 

    If you're running the marathon this year, it's not too late to share why you're running. Send a brief paragraph, a photo of yourself and a link to your fundraising site (if applicable) to Cheryl Richardson at crichardson@salemnews.com.

    April 17, 2014

  • chesskid Brace yourself, 'Salem' is now a TV show SALEM -- Ready or not, here comes "Salem." On Sunday night at 10, WGN American will debut its new series about the Salem Witch Trials, an attempt by a largely regional cable station to grab a national audience. The show has been much ballyhooed as th

    April 18, 2014 3 Photos