SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Nation/World

November 15, 2013

Toronto mayor denies latest allegations

TORONTO — Toronto’s mayor denied yesterday that he pressured a female employee for oral sex, in an obscenity-laced statement on live television in which he also threatened to take legal action against former staffers who spoke to police about his drinking and drug use.

Rob Ford, who admitted last week to smoking crack, later announced he was getting professional help. But he once again refused to step down and used a typical mix of contrition and defiance in several public appearances yesterday. He wore a football jersey to a City Council session, where outraged councilors turned their backs each time he spoke and again called on him to step aside.

Later, Councilor Karen Stintz said the city has suspended all school trips to City Hall indefinitely because staff deemed it unsafe.

Ford drew gasps from reporters yesterday morning when he used an obscenity as he denied telling a staffer he wanted to have oral sex.

“I’ve never said that in my life to her; I would never do that,” Ford said on live television.

The father of two school-age children said he is “happily married” and used crude language to say he enjoys enough oral sex at home.

Ford later apologized for his remarks at a news conference. He explained he was pushed “over the line” by newly released court documents that included allegations against him involving cocaine, escorts and prostitution. He called the allegations “100 percent lies.”

He said his integrity as a father and husband had been attacked, prompting him to “see red.”

“I acted on complete impulse in my remarks,” Ford said.

Ford also said he didn’t want to comment on the particulars of the health care support he’s receiving and asked for privacy for his family.

The mayor said he would take legal action against his former chief of staff, Mark Towhey and two other aides over their interviews with police that were detailed in court documents released Wednesday.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Nation/World

Local News
  • Patrick sign $36B state budget, announces vetoes

    July 11, 2014

  • Pulaski Street industrial park under attack once more

    PEABODY -- Residents who live near the Pulaski Street industrial park are frustrated. They believe some businesses are violating zoning laws, but there doesn't seem to be anyone at City Hall who can give a clear answer. They say the police department

    July 11, 2014

  • 140710_SN_DLE_FORSALE2 Partner drops out of Salem Oil & Grease project

    SALEM -- The developer of the proposed apartment complex at the former Salem Oil & Grease factory site said the project will proceed despite the withdrawal of its development partner. The Federated Companies of Miami, which signed a deal in 2010 to b

    July 11, 2014 3 Photos

  • 140710_SN_KYU_MOVIE_2 Beverly latest stop on North Shore for German TV film crew

    BEVERLY -- After nearly 100 years of showing movies, the Cabot Street Cinema became part of one yesterday. A production company came to town to shoot scenes for a movie that will run on German television. The crew filmed inside Chianti Tuscan Restaur

    July 11, 2014 3 Photos

  • moulton Tierney challenge pivots on core Democrats, independents

    Seth Moulton has three Harvard degrees, spent four tours of duty as a Marine in Iraq and has hired prominent campaign strategists. But is his Democratic Party fealty strong enough to topple longtime incumbent Congressman John Tierney in this fall's p

    July 11, 2014 1 Photo