SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Nation/World

January 16, 2014

Senate panel: Benghazi attack was preventable

WASHINGTON — Both highly critical and bipartisan, a Senate report declared yesterday that the deadly assault on the American diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, could have been prevented. The account spreads blame among the State Department, the military and U.S. intelligence for missing what now seem like obvious warning signs.

For the first time in the much-politicized aftermath, the report also points at Ambassador Chris Stevens, who was killed in the attack. It says that the State Department ended a deal with the military to have a special operations team provide extra security in Libya, and that Stevens twice refused an offer to reinstate the team in the weeks before the Sept. 11, 2012, attack.

The military also takes criticism in the report for failing to respond more quickly on the night of the assault.

On the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks in the U.S., armed militants stormed the diplomatic outpost in Benghazi, setting the building on fire. Stevens, information technology specialist Sean Smith, and CIA security contractors Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty, both former Navy SEALs, were killed over the course of two battles that night.

Stevens died of smoke inhalation after he was taken to a “safe room” in the besieged compound. The Obama administration, reluctant to deal publicly with a terror attack weeks before the presidential election, first described the assault as a spontaneous mob protest of an anti-Islamic, American-made video. Such a protest did occur at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo earlier that day.

Officials corrected their description days after the attack, but by then it had become a hot political issue that has continued to dog the administration.

On that issue, the report dives into the contentious initial talking points issued by the intelligence community, which helped fuel Republican allegations of an Obama administration cover-up of militant links to the violence.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Nation/World

Local News
  • Possible sites for garage revealed SALEM -- Salem State officials have announced three possible locations for the school's proposed 800-space parking garage and say a final decision on the site could be made within weeks. Parking has long been an issue for the school, and the demand f

    April 16, 2014

  • Serial drunken driver found guilty PEABODY -- A serial drunken driver, who was charged with yet another OUI, was found guilty by a jury Monday afternoon in Lawrence Superior Court. Prosecutors now need to prove it was the man's fifth drunken-driving offense. Peter Hurley, 52, was arre

    April 16, 2014

  • casa de moda Beverly's Casa de Moda to close BEVERLY -- Casa de Moda, the unique specialty store that has dressed up an often struggling downtown for more than four decades, is closing. Janice Preston, who has owned and operated the store with her husband, Don, since 1969, said yesterday that t

    April 16, 2014 1 Photo

  • North Shore residents to run in 2014 Boston Marathon

    The Salem News asked those on the North Shore who are running this year's Boston Marathon to share their reasons for running. 

    If you're running the marathon this year, it's not too late to share why you're running. Send a brief paragraph, a photo of yourself and a link to your fundraising site (if applicable) to Cheryl Lecesse at clecesse@salemnews.com.

    April 4, 2014

  • superfund Superfund work about to begin

    Testing to get underway at former Danvers tannery site Superfund work about to begin

    April 16, 2014 1 Photo