SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Nation/World

January 17, 2014

Police: Hernandez eyed as gunman in 2012 slayings

BRISTOL, Conn. — Boston police have been investigating whether jailed former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez may have been the gunman in a 2012 double slaying, according to a search warrant request released yesterday.

Hernandez, who is awaiting trial on murder charges in a 2013 shooting near his home, was seen on surveillance footage in the same nightclub as the victims the night of the attack in Boston’s South End, authorities have said. But the newly released documents confirm for the first time that police suspect Hernandez could have pulled the trigger.

A lawyer for Hernandez did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

No charges have been filed in the deaths of Daniel Jorge Correia de Abreu and Safiro Teixeira Furtado, who were killed on July 16, 2012, when somebody inside an SUV opened fire on their car. A third person was shot but survived.

In the affidavit and search warrant application released by Superior Court in Bristol, Conn., police write that there is probable cause to believe that Hernandez was driving the vehicle used in the shooting and “may have been the shooter.”

The affidavit was filed on June 28 as police sought to search an SUV they say was involved in the shooting and was found that month at Hernandez’s uncle’s home in Bristol, his hometown. The SUV had been given to Hernandez by a Rhode Island company in exchange for participating in promotional activities, according to court filings.

The SUV was covered in dust and cobwebs and had a dead battery, leading police to believe it has remained untouched in the garage for close to a year, according to the court document.

It is not clear from the affidavit why police believe Hernandez may have pulled the trigger in the 2012 shooting. The section of the affidavit that appears to explain that reason is one of several redacted from the public copy of the document.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Nation/World

Local News
  • 140730_SN_DLE_DEMOLITION5 Demolition of Salem Harbor Station begins

    SALEM -- It all begins with B5. Or ends, depending on how you look at it. Demolition began at Salem Harbor Station Wednesday afternoon, with crews first setting upon one of the power plant's 11 steel tanks. The work was supposed to begin Monday, but

    July 31, 2014 7 Photos

  • Market Basket seeks replacement workers through job fair next week

    Market Basket began advertising a job fair for store managers and assistant managers in a direct shot at the current managers who signed petitions Monday threatening to resign if former CEO Arthur T. Demoulas is not rehired. The ad, which will appear

    July 31, 2014 2 Stories

  • Mary Manning Recovering Salem principal says thanks

    SALEM -- Just about a month before she was set to retire after 25 years as the principal of Collins Middle School, Mary Manning entered the hospital with a life-threatening condition. She hasn't been home since. A month later, in June, friends and co

    July 31, 2014 1 Photo 1 Story

  • Former school janitor Robert Scribner sentenced for assaults in truck

    SALEM -- A now-former Marblehead school janitor was ordered to serve a year in jail Wednesday after pleading guilty to charges that he assaulted and threatened to kill his estranged girlfriend after trapping her in his pickup truck in May. Robert Scr

    July 31, 2014

  • Danvers selectmen to pick town manager screening committee DANVERS -- It's a who's who of Danvers. So far, 19 residents, including human resources professionals, former selectmen, and present members of boards and committees, have submitted letters of interest to serve on a screening committee that will pick

    July 31, 2014