SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Nation/World

December 22, 2012

House owner, 2 others accused of plotting blast

The woman who owns the house that exploded last month in Indianapolis, leveling much of the neighborhood and leaving two people dead, was arrested yesterday along with two others, authorities said, and all three were charged with murder.

Monserrate Shirley, 47; her boyfriend, Mark Leonard, 43; and his brother, Bob Leonard Jr., 54, are accused of intentionally leaking natural gas into the house and then using the kitchen’s programmable microwave to trigger the blast.

They were arrested six weeks after the fiery blast rocked the Richmond Hill subdivision, damaging 33 houses so severely that the city ordered them razed.

Killed in the blast were Jennifer Longworth, 36, and her husband, John “Dion” Longworth, 34, who lived next door to Shirley. The explosion injured 12 other people and caused an estimated $4 million in damage.

Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry said yesterday that investigators believe the Nov. 10 explosion at Shirley’s home, which blew from the inside out, was ignited by the microwave after gas was intentionally leaked into the home for hours.

“We are here today to discuss a thoroughly, thoroughly senseless act which has resulted in the deaths of two young adults in the prime of their life,” he said at a news conference.

Shirley and the Leonards were also charged with multiple counts of arson and one count of conspiracy to commit arson. She and Mark Leonard were charged with an additional count of conspiracy to commit arson in connection with what prosecutors say was an earlier failed attempt to blow up the same house.

About a week before the blast, Mark Leonard told a friend over the phone that “the house blew up,” according to court documents. Later that day, Leonard allegedly told the friend in another call that he was scanning Craigslist to buy a Ferrari with money from an insurance policy.

Last year, Shirley increased the coverage limit for her personal property inside the home to $304,000, according to the court documents.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Nation/World

Local News
  • Beverly police catch alleged bank robber

    BEVERLY — Police chased down a man on Rantoul Street after he allegedly robbed a bank inside the Stop & Shop on Elliott Street Tuesday afteroon.

    April 16, 2014 1 Story

  • Possible sites for garage revealed SALEM -- Salem State officials have announced three possible locations for the school's proposed 800-space parking garage and say a final decision on the site could be made within weeks. Parking has long been an issue for the school, and the demand f

    April 16, 2014

  • Serial drunken driver found guilty PEABODY -- A serial drunken driver, who was charged with yet another OUI, was found guilty by a jury Monday afternoon in Lawrence Superior Court. Prosecutors now need to prove it was the man's fifth drunken-driving offense. Peter Hurley, 52, was arre

    April 16, 2014

  • North Shore residents to run in 2014 Boston Marathon

    The Salem News asked those on the North Shore who are running this year's Boston Marathon to share their reasons for running. 

    If you're running the marathon this year, it's not too late to share why you're running. Send a brief paragraph, a photo of yourself and a link to your fundraising site (if applicable) to Cheryl Lecesse at clecesse@salemnews.com.

    April 4, 2014

  • casa de moda Beverly's Casa de Moda to close BEVERLY -- Casa de Moda, the unique specialty store that has dressed up an often struggling downtown for more than four decades, is closing. Janice Preston, who has owned and operated the store with her husband, Don, since 1969, said yesterday that t

    April 16, 2014 1 Photo