Beverly — Guido Liporto died peacefully in the early morning hours of March 31, Easter Sunday, at the Catholic Medical Center in Manchester, N.H. He was born in Beverly, October 4, 1923, the fourth child and third son of Donato and Anna (Molo) Liporto, and lived in Beverly his whole life.
He worked briefly at the United Shoe Machinery cafeteria until he was drafted into the Army, March 3, 1943. He was trained as a Medical/ Surgical Technician and was eventually attached to the 296th Combat Engineers Battalion. He landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day +14 and was one of the small percent of troops that went “from the Beach to Berlin.” He was Honorably Discharged in December 1945, having earned the Good Conduct and Victory Medals, as well as five battle stars, each representing one of the major battles of the European Theater, including the Battle of the Bulge.
Returning home, he obtained a loan through the GI Bill to purchase the Silver Anchor and successfully ran it with his brother, Ernesto Liporto, and many members of his family. They sold the Silver Anchor in 1953, and he spent the rest of his working life in the industrial construction business. He was a member of he Massachusetts Laborer’s Union and among the projects he worked on were the Anna Jacques Hospital in Newburyport, St. Malachy’s Church in Burlington, the library at Brandeis University in Waltham, and the Essex St. pedestrian mall in Salem. Other projects he helped to build include One Center Plaza, as part of the redevelopment of Boston’s West End and the Department of Mental Health Building in Government Center. In later years he worked for the DeIulus Brothers Construction Co. of Lynn and helped build several local projects, including St. Anne’s Church in Salem.
He was an accomplished accordionist and a member of Local 126 of the American Federation of Musicians. He played in small jazz combos in clubs all over the Northshore, as well as for countless weddings, house parties, and other social occasions.