SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Opinion

February 24, 2014

Letter: Remembering Leslie's Retreat

(Continued)

Felt Street was laid out in 1805 through Capt. Felt’s North Salem estate. Because of its shady location, the street was known locally as Lovers’ Lane. It runs from 63 Dearborn to the junction of Orne and Sargent.

Most of the houses here are relatively new, dating from 1914 to 1950. There are two older houses: One, lately called “the other Ropes mansion,” is being happily restored by its new owners. The second is a Colonial-style dwelling built about 1807.

The old Lynde Street house that belonged to Capt. Felt was later moved to 47 Federal St. At one time, it had a tearoom by the name of “The Nook.” It is now the law office of Hensey Judge, P.C.

Jeanne Stella

Salem

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Opinion

AP Video
Renewed Violence Taking Toll on Gaza Residents 2 Americans Detained in North Korea Seek Help US Employers Add 209K Jobs, Rate 6.2 Pct House GOP Optimistic About New Border Bill Gaza Truce Unravels; Israel, Hamas Trade Blame Raw: Tunisia Closes Borders With Libya Four Rescued From Crashed Plane Couple Channel Grief Into Soldiers' Retreat WWI Aviation Still Alive at Aerodrome in NY Raw: Rescuers at Taiwan Explosion Scene Raw: Woman Who Faced Death Over Faith in N.H. Clinton Before 9-11: Could Have Killed Bin Laden Netanyahu Vows to Destroy Hamas Tunnels Obama Slams Republicans Over Lawsuit House Leaders Trade Blame for Inaction
Comments Tracker
Roll Call
Helium debate
Helium