Another company, The Salem and Danvers Street Railroad, operated similar trolleys primarily in Salem, Danvers and Peabody. It, too, was acquired by the Naumkeag Street Railroad Company in 1887. At that time, the combined number of horses employed by the two original firms hovered just below 400.
By the mid-1890s, however, most local trolley service had “gone electric,” and dobbin transportation days were nearing an end. The arrival of the automobile in the early 20th century would prove to be the final nail in the coffin.
But old habits die slowly. As late as 1925, there were still as many horse-related businesses on Salem’s commercial Bridge Street as there were automobile dealers, mechanics and parts stores.
Salem historian Jim McAllister is a regular contributor to these pages.