SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Region

October 31, 2013

Suffolk Downs gets OK to pursue casino bid

BOSTON (AP) — The owners of Suffolk Downs say they’re pleased with the decision by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission to allow them to move ahead with their bid for one of three casino licenses.

Chip Tuttle, chief operating officer of Suffolk Downs, said yesterday that the commission’s favorable finding was critical to the project’s future.

“We look forward to our ballot questions and the next phase as we advance our plans for a world-class resort at our historic racetrack,” Tuttle said.

The decision is a boost for the 78-year-old track, which straddles the East Boston neighborhood and Revere and hopes to compete for the sole Eastern Massachusetts resort casino license.

It also comes a day after track officials told gambling regulators that it is in discussions with several potential casino operators but may not have one in place before host community votes scheduled for next week.

The search for a new operator began when Suffolk Downs cut ties with Caesars Entertainment after being briefed on a background check conducted by commission investigators.

Charles Baker III, secretary for Suffolk Downs said Tuesday he could not promise a partner would be in place by Tuesday, when votes are scheduled in East Boston and Revere on community agreements negotiated by Suffolk Downs.

Baker said a new operator would be in place by Dec. 31, the deadline for final casino applications, and that any new operator must agree to honor the host agreements.

The commission’s background check of Caesars pointed out the company’s now-ended relationship with a New York hotel company subsidiary, an executive’s previous work in online gambling, and Caesars’ now-settled dispute with a high-roller over millions in gambling debts. The panel also cited Caesars’ nearly $24 billion debt.

Caesars said it disagreed with the findings but agreed to withdraw at the request of Suffolk Downs.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

Local News
  • City gets four bids for McKay School BEVERLY -- In the latest round of bids for the McKay School property, the city will consider four new proposals it received last week. The most recent proposals mark the fourth time the city has reviewed bids on the property and the second effort for

    August 20, 2014

  • Police to put down their pens, write electronic tickets BOSTON -- State troopers will soon toss handwritten tickets in favor of electronic citations to save money and time, and local police across the state could eventually follow suit. State police using the system will swipe or scan a driver's license t

    August 20, 2014

  • 140819_SN_DLE_VAPOR2 No 'butts' about it: Vapor stores pop up despite e-cig concerns Michael Greene sells e-cigarettes because they saved his life. And if they were available in the United States 17 years ago, they might have also spared his father, who smoked four packs of cigarettes a day for 40 years. "If you put too many regulati

    August 20, 2014 3 Photos

  • 140819_SN_DLE_MURPHY4 109 days, 2 new lungs later, Essex Deputy Sheriff Murphy comes home

    Dozens of friends and family members lined up on Balcomb Street Tuesday evening to greet Newton Murphy as he arrived home from his double lung transplant. Murphy, the Essex County deputy sheriff, had been in the hospital for 109 days after his surge

    August 20, 2014 8 Photos

  • Sex offender Matthew Delima, who fled with teen, gets 2-10 years

    SALEM -- A judge Tuesday returned a homeless Level 3 sex offender to state prison for two to 10 years, but he said that after reading police reports and other records in the case, he would have imposed even more time. The reason Judge Timothy Feeley

    August 20, 2014 3 Stories