SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Region

July 26, 2013

Hernandez appears to be holding gun in released photos

ATTLEBORO — Newly released surveillance photos show former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez holding what authorities say appears to be a gun, shortly after his friend was shot to death.

The photos taken from Hernandez’s home surveillance system are contained in more than 100 pages of court records released yesterday.

Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to murder in the death of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd, whose body was found June 17 near Hernandez’s home. He had been shot five times.

An affidavit says the pictures show Hernandez in his basement holding a gun not long after Lloyd was killed. The surveillance was cut off within minutes.

Other photos show what authorities say is Hernandez in his living room before Lloyd’s killing also holding what they believe is a gun.

Police say Lloyd was killed with a .45 caliber gun, but it has not been recovered.

A judge rescheduled a probable cause hearing for Hernandez to give prosecutors more time to present evidence to a grand jury in their murder case against him.

Hernandez was in court Wednesday for what was supposed to be a probable cause hearing, but prosecutors said the grand jury is still considering the evidence against him.

Judge Daniel O’Shea considered defense objections to a delay but decided to reschedule the hearing for Aug. 22. Hernandez will continue to be held without bail until then.

Also Wednesday, O’Shea ruled in favor of media organizations, including The Associated Press, that were seeking access to more documents in the case, including two arrest warrants, additional search warrants and other materials. The records will be released at 3 p.m. Thursday if no one appeals.

Defense attorney James Sultan objected to the documents’ unsealing, saying he understood the media’s “insatiable appetite” but that the release of records is undermining Hernandez’s right to a fair trial.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

Local News