, Salem, MA


June 11, 2014

Beverly falls to Hingham in overtime of Division 2 semis (With photo slideshow)

CAMBRIDGE — In sudden death overtime, everyone on the lacrosse field is hoping for just one more possession.

Unfortunately for Beverly in the Division 2 state semifinal against Hingham yesterday at Harvard Stadium, the Panthers came up one possession short.

After Sam Abate’s shot attempt was stopped by Jack Santilli, Hingham’s Matt Rosso took the ball to the Beverly net and beat Kevin Lally to give the Harbormen the 9-8 overtime win.

The Panthers (14-9) scored twice in the final two and a half minutes to send the game to sudden death but Hingham (19-5) found its footing after a shaky end to regulation.

“They (Hingham) are the best team we played all season and today we played the best we’ve played all season — and they still beat us,” said Beverly (14-9) head coach John Pynchon. “Give Hingham credit because they responded (in overtime). A lot of other teams would have been broken. That was a great lacrosse game.”

Beverly tied the game (at 6-6) on Ricky McFarland’s goal early in the third but then the Panthers went a little over 19 minutes without scoring. With the Panthers down a pair, Santilli lost the ball trying to make a throw out of the crease and Hunter Spencer made him pay by cutting the lead in half at 8-7.

Then, after Lally made a save with under a minute remaining, Pynchon took a timeout. With just 16 seconds left, Ian Butler beat Santilli shortside to force overtime.

“Obviously we didn’t do a good job in the final two minutes and they were able to claw their way back and take advantage of our mistakes,” said Harbormen skipper John Todd. “In overtime we said, ‘Let’s just get another possession.’”

The Beverly defense held strong throughout the contest, especially in the second half where the Panthers only allowed two goals before the eventual game-winner in overtime.

Text Only | Photo Reprints

Sports Special
Sports podcasts
Northeast Sports
Comments Tracker
Sports Special