The Bishop Fenwick swim team extended its recent winning streak to four meets last night, when the Crusaders took care of Catholic Central League rival Matignon, 93-71.
Jimmy Gauthier and Carson Christuk had huge hands in the win, with both winning two individual events and swimming a leg on two winning relays. Gauthier won the 200 free (2:07.97) and the 100 back (1:02.16) and Christuk won the 100 fly (57.50) and the 500 free (5:17.40).
Fenwick’s 200 medley relay (Christuk, Gauthier, Pablo Jimenez and Matthew O’Brien) won in 1:58.09 and the 400 free relay (Gauthier, Christuk, Linsey Andrews and Ben Kaupp) won in 4:08.25.
Also winning events for the Crusaders were Jimenez (100 back, 1:19.37) and Bridgette Townsend (200-IM, 2:34).
Hamilton-Wenham 103, Ipswich 81: The 200 free relay of Megan Weltler, Annie Li, Carleigh Wilson and Betsy Powers and the 400 free relay of Weltler, Li, Powers and Katrina Klobucher both qualified for sections as the Generals improved to 4-1. Powers also qualified for sectionals and states in the 200 and 500 free. Bobby Grinnell had his best times in the 100 free and 100 breast.
Tessa Amoroso took first place in diving with 197 points and Amelia Young was second with 145.8 points for Ipswich, which also saw Joey Spinale win the 100 back and Sadie Goldfarb win the 50 fly. The Tigers freestyle relay of Justin Bergner, Kyle Ivanov, Shane Neilson and Austin Rubino also won.
cHELMSFORD 4, dANVERS 0: The Falcons (7-4-3) got some fine play from third-liners Kevin Hodgkins, Jay Calcagno and Trevor Daly but could only muster 13 shots on their Division 1 opponents. Sophomore Alex Taylor stopped 13 shots in goal for Danvers, which returns to NEC play Saturday at home agaisnt Gloucester (3 p.m.).
Salem 121.5, Peabody 112.45: The Tanners turned in their best team score of the season. Sam Kinnaly was second in the all-around at 31.1 after finishing first on vault (8.4), third on beam (7.5) and first on floor (8.1) Aubrey Irvine was third on vault (8.1) and Becca Doccuzzi was third on bars 7.4 for Peabody.
Masconomet 3, Peabody 1: Freshman Emma McGonagle scored her first varsity goal and Amanda Coppa had a pair of tallies as the Chieftains (8-3) won their fifth straight on Saturday. Captain Kendra Dow had two assists and senior goalie Alex Jones made 23 saves to hold off Peabody, which vastly improved from an 8-0 loss to Masco earlier in the season.
Sophia Post scored the Tanners’ goal, unassisted, to give her team a 1-0 lead in the first period. Goalie Jillian McCormick made 25 saves for Peabody while Waverly Cohen, Courtney Smith and Kaydee Purcell played well.
St. George’s 3, Pingree 1: Senior goalie Aly Heffron made 28 saves Saturday, but the Highlanders (5-8) fell to a solid opponent at home. Kristina Caradonna had Pingree’s goal, assisted by Jillian Witwicki and Olivia Carmichael.
st. john’s prep 130, austin prep 5: Ryan Carlucci finished in first place with a time of 20.71 seconds to propel the Eagles to a blowout win at Bradford Ski Area. The next five finishers were also from St. John’s as Joe Cavallaro and Cael Schwartz tied for second in 20.71; Brad Noyes was fourth (20.75), Patrick McDermott took fifth (29.85) and Bobby Holmes placed sixth (20.86).
Beverly boys lax holds on, beats Masco for first North Shore Cup win
BEVERLY -- It's a good thing the Beverly High boys lacrosse team could start fast in its North Shore Cup game yesterday against visiting Masconomet. That's because in the second half, the Chieftains came back with a fury. After the Panthers shut Masc
Tylus' 4-hitter gives Falcons 18th win in 19 games after victory over Gloucester
DANVERS -- From his vantage point in center field, Anthony Garron knew that his Danvers High baseball teammate, junior right-hander Raffy Tylus, was on his game last night. "I could see his ball was just moving across the table," said Garron, referri
Local sports schedule
agateHed:TODAY'S SPORTS HIGH SCHOOL Baseball -- Haverhill at Masconomet (3:45); Bishop Fenwick at Saugus (4); Peabody at Revere (4); Gloucester at St. John's Prep (4). Softball -- Everett at Swampscott (4); Masconomet at Marblehead (5); North Shore
Beverly baseball takes care of business against Salem
SALEM -- Every high school baseball team works on turning two, because you never know when a double play might be the key to an entire game. Yesterday may have been one of those days for the Beverly High baseball team, which extended its winning str
Heckman, Lally, Maselek honored with NEC lacrosse awards
Record setting senior attack Keifer Heckman of Peabody was honored as the Northeastern Conference North Offensive Player of the Year as the league announced its all-stars and major awards yesterday. Beverly goalie Kevin Lally and Marblehead netminder
- Wednesday's area roundup: Fenwick's Moore no hits East Boston
- Middleton gymnast Shernan takes Regional all-around and beam championship; heads to Nationals
- Around the Horn: Hosman helps Phillips Andover win Central New England crown
- Heckman the hero in Peabody's OT win over Salem
- Marblehead tops Danvers, finishes undefeated in NEC play
- Salem's Hart, a former PGA winner, dies
- St. John's Prep earns No. 2 seed in state volleyball tournament
- Area roundup: Whooley's complete game helps Ipswich baseball prevail
- Local sports schedule
- Lax Lowdown: Beverly’s Lyman leaves mark at Waring
- Beverly, Medford police to play benefit game
- Fenwick's Curran helps Tufts win national championship
- Monday's Area roundup: Ipswich girls rally to top North Andover in overtime
- Ocko, Alpern heading to University of Tampa
- Local sports schedule
- 'At Bat for Buddy' Tournament draws huge crowd at Fenwick
- Kreider, Rangers find themselves in 2-0 hole vs. Bruins
- Southern Maine ends Endicott baseball's World Series dreams
- Danvers softball suffers first setback, but settles for weekend split
- Weekend area roundup: Masco baseball knocks North Reading from the ranks of the unbeaten
- Weekend track roundup: Peabody boys, girls both win NEC meets
- Local sports schedule
- Local sports briefs
- FINISHING TOUCHES: Fenwick scores six in the sixth to top Peabody
- Endicott advances in D3 New England Regional
- Beverly boys lax holds on, beats Masco for first North Shore Cup win