- The World
Radiation down at Japan nuke plant after blast
Japan's government spokesman says the metal container sheltering a nuclear reactor was not affected by an explosion that destroyed the building it's in.
Scenes of devastation at heart of Japan disaster
Miles from the ocean's edge, weary, mud-spattered survivors wandered streets strewn with fallen trees, crumpled cars, even small airplanes. Relics of lives now destroyed were everywhere — half a piano, a textbook, a soiled red sleeping bag.
Calif., Ore. sustained most damage from tsunami
The warnings traveled quickly across the Pacific in the middle of the night: An 8.9-magnitude earthquake in Japan spawned a deadly tsunami, and it was racing east Friday as fast as a jetliner.
Hundreds killed in tsunami after 8.9 Japan quake
A ferocious tsunami spawned by one of the largest earthquakes on record slammed Japan's eastern coast Friday, killing hundreds of people as it swept away ships, cars and homes while widespread fires burned out of control.
Florida wary of potential oil drilling near Cuba
Florida was on edge last summer as oil spewed from the blown out Deepwater Horizon well in the northern Gulf of Mexico.
This summer, Florida could turn a wary eye in a different direction: south toward Cuba.
- Pope's new book: Violence never in God's name
- Rebels fight Gadhafi with heavy weapons, diplomacy
- Christian-Muslim clashes in Egypt kill 11
- Guineans find themselves poorer under democracy
- Joe Biden meets Finnish leaders en route to Moscow
- China challenges US predominance in Asia-Pacific
- Gates: US should stay involved in Afghanistan
- Libyan rebels try to regroup after setback
- Court defers ruling on Nobel laureate's dismissal
- From cold case to red hot: Ex-FBI agent is alive
- Israel: No Palestinian peace deal possible now
- Rebels fight Gadhafi forces over Libyan oil port
- Pro-Gadhafi forces try to retake strategic city
- China rolls back press freedoms amid protest calls
- UK, Germany fly secret rescue missions into Libya
- Libya: Tripoli residents say civilians being armed
- Poll: Ireland heads for new govt led by Fine Gael
- Gadhafi militia open fire on Libya protesters
- Ivory Coast fighting threatens 6-year ceasefire
- Libyan protesters defiant after Gadhafi speech
- Greek strike disrupts flights, cripples services
- Witnesses report bodies in the streets in Libya
- Quake in New Zealand kills at least 65, traps more
- Gadhafi's grip on Libya weakens
- Arab world mainstay's power suddenly at risk
- Radiation down at Japan nuke plant after blast