Patrick tells allies he plans 2020 bid, sources say

FILE - In this Dec. 15, 2014, file photo, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick speaks during an interview at his Statehouse office in Boston. Former Massachusetts Gov. Patrick is considering making a late run for the Democratic presidential nomination. That is according to people with knowledge of Patrick’s deliberations. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola, File)

BOSTON — Former Gov. Deval Patrick on Thursday officially announced his candidacy for president of the United States, making him the second former Bay State governor and third candidate in the race from Massachusetts.

The two-term governor will compete in a Democratic field where U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren has already been running for many months. Former Gov. William Weld is running for president as a Republican.

Former Massachusetts Govs. Michael Dukakis and Mitt Romney secured the Democratic and Republican presidential nominations in 1988 and 2012, respectively, but lost their races. Former U.S. Sen. John Kerry also lost, beaten by George W. Bush in 2004.

Patrick has ties with former President Barack Obama, who served with Vice President Joe Biden, another top tier candidate in the crowded but thinning field of Democrats that so far has not produced a runaway favorite.

Democrats seeking the presidency are scheduled to participate in a MSNBC-Washington Post debate Nov. 20 in Georgia, though Patrick is not scheduled to be part of that debate.

In December 2018, Patrick said he wouldn't seek the presidency. At the time, he said he was overwhelmed by encouragement but "knowing that the cruelty of our elections process would ultimately splash back on people whom Diane and I love, but who hadn’t signed up for the journey, was more than I could ask." 

Recommended for you