Danvers house damaged by fire 

JAIME CAMPOS/Staff photoA Tuesday night fire caused extensive damage to a home 175 Hobart St., Danvers.

DANVERS — A family was left at least temporarily homeless after a fire possibly caused by a candle broke out about 8:20 p.m. Tuesday in their 175 Hobart St. home.

The Fire Department was on scene in under five minutes and a second alarm was called about 8:32.

Several family members were at home in the light-gray, two-story clapboard house when the fire broke out, but all escaped without injury.

The blaze, which firefighters had under control within less than 20 minutes, appeared to have started at the approximate point where an addition abutted the original structure and spread rapidly upward.

The blaze had apparently reached the attic of the home as firefighters cut through the roof to access the flames.

The home was dark, but there were signs of smoke and fire damage in several of the upstairs windows.

According to a woman who said she lived there and appeared to be the homeowner, firefighters had told her they thought the fire had been started by a candle. She did not elaborate and was taken away by a friend without answering more questions.