DANVERS — A Danvers man was sent to jail for a year Tuesday after admitting to child pornography charges. 

Steven Durkee, 34, of 4 Roman Ave., pleaded guilty in Salem District Court to one count of possessing child pornography and was sentenced to 2 1/2 years in jail, with a year to be served. The balance was suspended for three years, during which Durkee will be on supervised probation. 

Durkee, who had been free on bail since shortly after his arraignment last January, was taken back into custody at the conclusion of the hearing before Judge Emily Karstetter. 

Prosecutor Michael Varone said that Newbury police detective Sgt. Aaron Wojtkowski was investigating child pornography being shared on peer-to-peer networks and found items that were being shared by one internet address. Those images were also spotted by police detectives in Rowley and in Boston, Varone said.

Further investigation revealed that the address belonged to a family member of Durkee, who lives with his parents in Danvers.

Danvers Police detective Sgt. Robert Sullivan then joined the investigation, getting a search warrant for the computer.

Varone said the images included children engaged in sexual activity with other children as well as with adults.

The sentence was the result of a plea agreement between Durkee and his attorney, Thomas Gately, and prosecutors, as the case was about to be presented to a grand jury for indictment. Under the agreement, a more serious charge of distribution of child pornography was dropped. 

Among the conditions of Durkee's probation after he is released are that he register as a sex offender, wear a GPS monitoring bracelet, get a sex offender evaluation and treatment, and get a mental health evaluation and treatment. He has also been ordered to have no unsupervised contact with anyone under 16. 

Courts reporter Julie Manganis can be reached at 978-338-2521, by email at jmanganis@salemnews.com or on Twitter at @SNJulieManganis.