MARBLEHEAD — The trial of a former Marblehead private youth hockey coach charged last year with sexually abusing 10 boys has now been delayed until next May. 

Christopher Prew, 32, of Winthrop, was first charged a year and a half ago, after a 9-year-old boy told his mother and then investigators that Prew had been touching him inappropriately. Shortly after the disclosure by that boy, other boys came forward to Marblehead police. After the case received media attention, additional boys, including one in Newton, and another in Quebec, Canada, also reported abuse by Prew. 

Prew has pleaded not guilty to the charges. He remains held without bail, after a judge last month denied a request to release him on conditions.

The case had been proceeding toward trial, scheduled for June, when Prew’s former attorney, Michael Doolin, was nominated and then confirmed as a Superior Court judge. Attorney Kelli Porges, who had no previous role in the case, began representing Prew this summer. 

Porges made a brief appearance in Salem Superior Court on Monday, where she and prosecutor Kate MacDougall asked Judge Jeffrey Karp to set a trial date of May 4, 2020. 

No reason was given in court for the lengthy delay. 

Also unresolved is whether the cases involving all of the boys allegedly abused in Essex County will be tried together. MacDougall told the judge she expects to file a motion to “join” the cases, which Porges indicated she will likely oppose. 

A status hearing in the case is scheduled for Nov. 15. 

Prew was not present for the hearing. 

Prew’s mother, Louise Martino, who was charged with witness intimidation after allegedly sending a Facebook message to the mother of one boy, is due in court on Aug. 27.  

Courts reporter Julie Manganis can be reached at 978-338-2521, by email at jmanganis@salemnews.com or on Twitter at @SNJulieManganis. 

Trending Video

Recommended for you