IPSWICH — Less than six hours after Michael Mroz was ordered not to abuse or harass the woman he allegedly attacked over the weekend, an Essex County prosecutor said he did just that. 

As a result, Mroz was ordered held without bail Tuesday for violating conditions of his release issued Monday afternoon. Those conditions were imposed by Judge Peter Doyle after Mroz was arraigned in Ipswich District Court on a single count of assault and battery of a family or household member. 

Hours after leaving the Newburyport courthouse, Mroz was arrested Monday around 5:30 p.m. inside his Ipswich home after police responded to an armed intruder call. Police instead found Mroz, who had returned to his Alamo Road residence to collect personal belongings. But the woman who accused Mroz of attacking her Sunday was also inside. Fearing for her safety, she ran to a bathroom, locked the door and called police, telling them that Mroz was throwing her belongings inside the house, according to court records. 

Mroz told police he was unarmed and the woman had not placed a restraining order against him. That allowed him to go back to his home where she was staying and collect personal items, he claimed. 

Ipswich police Officer Mark Ruggiero told Mroz there was enough evidence to charge him with domestic assault and possibly for violating pretrial release conditions, according to Ruggiero's report.  

Mroz, 65, claimed the woman made a false report to police and was using the officers as leverage to strengthen her position in ongoing domestic disputes. Ruggiero told Mroz that if she filed a false report, it would be handled by the police department, according to the report. 

In March 2018, Mroz stepped down as executive director of the Custom House Maritime Museum in Newburyport, after more than six years at the helm. He joined the Custom House board of directors in 2010 and received the museum’s preservation leadership award in May 2018.

On Tuesday, Mroz was arraigned on the new assault charge and ordered held on $500 cash bail. He is due back in court May 29 for a pretrial hearing. 

Mroz's first arrest took place Sunday night after he allegedly pushed a woman several times, once hard enough to send her sprawling to the floor.

Police responded to Mroz’s home after the woman called 911 Sunday about 12:15 a.m. She told officers that Mroz attacked her after an argument between the two of them escalated. Mroz denied touching her and told police the woman began throwing his personal belongings around the house after she complained about him not making enough money. 

Staff writer Dave Rogers can be reached at drogers@salemnews.com. Follow him on Twitter @drogers41008.