Woman drives through restaurant window at lunchtime

DANVERS — Police responded to Jimmy’s Famous Beef & Seafood, 71 High St., just after 12:30 p.m. Friday, for report of a car into the front of the building.

According to police Lt. Marc Smorczewski, the female driver lost control of her car and drove through one of the restaurant’s large plate glass panels facing the street.

Though it was lunch time and a number of patrons were in the restaurant, luckily, none were seated or standing directly behind the glass panel, and no one was injured. The driver, thought to be 69 years old, was only shaken up.

There was no structural damage to the building, and it was able to reopen later in the day after a temporary replacement panel was installed and the mess cleaned up.

The crash remains under investigation, and no charges have been filed at this time.

— Buck Anderson

In other news taken from the logs of area police departments:



A woman walked into the station at 3 p.m. to report that there was an attempt to fraudulently use her identity through PayPal.

A summons was issued to a 42-yer-old Peabody woman, after a 3:30 p.m. motor vehicle accident in the vicinity of 4 King St. The woman was charged with unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle and failure to use care when stopping, starting, turning, etc. The vehicle was driven away by a licensed operator.

Police responded to The Cheesecake Factory, 210C Andover St., at 3:40 p.m., for a past fight. The caller said the parties appeared to be leaving the area. There was no fight when the officer arrived, and he said mall security was speaking with the three people involved. The officer also spoke with the three, then sent them on their way. Two other people involved in the fight had already left.

A Princeton Street woman reported, at 3:50 p.m., that her 12-year-old Boston terrier was missing. She was advised that the dog was picked up and taken to Borash Veterinary Clinic in the morning. She was also advised that she will be fined $25 for the loose dog as well as the clinic’s fee for caring for her dog.

A Lowell Street man notified police, at 6:20 p.m., that his 33-year-old son had his motor vehicle and has not returned it. The officer attempted to contact the son via his cell phone and left him a voice mail. The man said that if his son does not return the vehicle within 24 hours, he will file a stolen motor vehicle report.

A caller from Land and Sea, 67 Lynnfield St., reported, just before 7 p.m., that a female in a red jacket was asking people for money then taking it to a black 4-door car. An officer checked the Land and Sea and CVS parking lots, but the vehicle and female were gone.

An officer responded, at 7:15 p.m., to an Aborn Street residence after the landlord reported there was an unauthorized person in one of the apartments, and he wanted an officer to stand by to preserve the peace. The officer spoke with the tenant, who said she received an eviction notice and will be moving on or prior to Dec. 31. She said the unwanted male party does not live there, but does visit her.

Officers went to the vicinity of Butternut Avenue, at 8:45  p.m., after an employee reported that a car full of juveniles was trespassing at the reservoir. The officer said they were just driving around and were sent on their way without issue. One juvenile was transported to his vehicle on the Lynnfield line.


Police responded, just before 9 a.m., to the vicinity of the Higgins Middle School, 85 Perkins St., for a complaint about music over the public address system. An officer spoke with the crew working on the PA system for the school, and they expect to be there all day. He then spoke with the school contact who said that the noise does not rise past the noise-ordinance limit.

A Hilltop Drive resident came to the police station, at 11:06 a.m., to report a case of identity fraud.

Officers were called to Toys R Us, 210T Andover St., at 12:50 p.m., for two males shoplifting. Both were white, in their 40s; one wore a black leather jacket, the other blue cloth. Both left, possibly in an older black Volvo sedan, prior to officers’ arrival.

A juvenile caller reported from Bowditch Street that she was at home alone and she believes an intruder is in her basement. The officers checked and found a plumber, whom they determined was supposed to be there.



A woman came into the station at 6:45 p.m., to report a hit-and-run crash. She filed a report and was advised to contact her insurance company

Unit 24 was sent, just after 7 p.m., to the lot at Bridge and Goodhue streets for a complaint about construction noise. American Environmental Demolition was on scene and cleaning up and shutting down for the night.

Unit 22 responded, at 8:30 p.m., to Victoria Station for the report of a disturbance. While en route, dispatch reported that the two females involved had left the restaurant and were in a Blue Chevy Tahoe in the parking lot. Officers located and spoke with the women, who said they had just been having a discussion in the restaurant and, during their conversation, they became a little loud, the management asked them to leave, and they did. They said they were just waiting for a taxi to Peabody, so the officers called a taxi and the women left the area without incident.


A police unit on patrol at 1:45 a.m., in the vicinity of St. Peter Street, was flagged down by two people looking for a friend who had run off upset. Area checks turned up nothing.

Police were called to the vicinity of Norman Street, about 2 a.m. They arrested Christopher O’Connell, 44, of 10 Norman St. on charges of malicious destruction of property greater than $250, and wanton destruction of property greater than $250.

Officers were dispatched to 12 Hazel St.  at 3:05 a.m.,for a disturbance. They arrested Andrew Greene, 22, of 12 Hazel St., Apt. 2, and Tory Uwagboe, also 22, of 135 Read St., Winthrop. Each was charged with disturbing the peace.



Police were called, at 5:45 p.m., to the vicinity of Cabot and Charnock streets, for a man trying to start a fight with motorists. Officers reported no one was trying to start a fight. The man was bipolar, in a high mood and rapping loudly on windows and singing in the street. He was sent on his way.

Police went to a Herrick Street address at 8:10 p.m. after an adult reported an incident of indecent assault and battery.

Police went to a Ropes Street address at 8:45 p.m. after a mother reported her daughter had been assaulted.

Two units and an ambulance were sent to a Northridge Road address, at 11:55 p.m., after a report that a man possibly drank Draino.


Police were dispatched at 1:04 a.m. to a Northridge Road residence for an ex-boyfriend who was banging on doors, calling to the ex-girlfriend, etc. Police arrested John J. Ranahan IV, 116 Northridge Road, Beverly, on a charge of disorderly conduct.

Officers were called to the Sunoco station, 131 Brimbal Ave., at 1:30 a.m., for a party trying to sell 100 cases of cigarettes.

Officers went to the vicinity of 20 Cabot St., at 6 a.m. for a report of a trash truck picking up trash before 7 a.m. They spoke with the driver of the EZ Disposal Trash Service and informed him that, per city ordinance, he could not start until 7 a.m.

Police stopped a driver at 7:10 a.m. on Cabot Street. The driver was confrontational and accused the officer of committing “acts of socio-economic warfare.” He was cited for driving without a current inspection sticker and with failing to have his driver’s license in possession while operating a motor vehicle.

An officer went to Butman Street at 1:15 p.m. after a caller reported a woman lying on the ground. The woman was fine. She was an art student and was lying on the ground “just to get a view of things.”



A caller reported at 7:50 a.m. that she was leaving Village Plaza when she saw the passengers in a VW Jetta littering. She said she rolled her eyes at them and they made a rude gesture and took pictures of her. She said she called the high school and gave the school the plate number of the vehicle the kids were in. She did not want to leave her name. The officer called the residence of the party the Jetta was registered to, but the voice mail was full and he was unable to leave a message.

Police made six unsuccessful attempts between noon and 6 p.m. to serve a summons to a Darling Street resident.

An 11:10 a.m. caller told police that she was walking her dog in the trails behind Seaside Park when she came upon two white boys who were acting suspiciously. Both were wearing grey hoodies and one had glasses. She said she would wait and point them out to the officers. Two minutes later the officers arrived. They searched the trails but could not find the pair.

Police recieved a call at 2:40 p.m.from the high school principal, who said he had reports that a fight may take place after school and requested units in the area. The principal called back moments later and said the fight may have already happened by Richdales. He said when the youths saw him coming, they dispersed. Police checked the area and around the school, but all was quiet.

Middleton Family Medical called at 5:45 to ask for a well-being check for a patient. The man was at Beverly Hospital this afternoon taking tests for vision issues, and the results showed that he had suffered a stroke. He left the hospital prior to getting the results, however, so he didn’t know the diagnosis, and he needed to return to the ER for further evaluation. An officer went to the man’s house at 6 p.m., and it was completely dark with no one answering the door, so he was going to look for his car. At 9:20 p.m., the log indicates one person being transported to Salem Hospital.


A Hillside Avenue father notified police, at 1:20 a.m., that he hasn’t heard from his son or his girlfriend since 8:20 p.m. and thinks it is odd, as his son usually lets him know of his whereabouts. Units were sent to check the areas where the father thought he might have been, without result. At 3:30 a.m., the father called to say his son had just made contact and that he had fallen asleep at a friend’s house, and was returning home. He thanked police for their assistance.

Police were called to a Darling Street location at 1:45 a.m. after a woman called 911 to report that a group of kids were staring into her window. She said she has banged on the window twice to make them go away, but they haven’t. An officer responded immediately and checked the area between Darling and Washington streets but found no one.



Police went to Lowe’s Home Improvement Center on Andover Street at 5:35 p.m. for a report of fraudulent returns.

Officers were dispatched, at 8:35 p.m., to AMC Theatres at Liberty Tree Mall for a report of a male with a gun at the ticket window. Police were unable to substantiate the report and determined it was unfounded.


A call at 12:05 a.m., reporting the sound of gunshots in the vicinity of 2218 Kirkbride Drive, was unfounded.

A driver called police from the vicinity of Andover Street at 11:50 a.m. to report a case of road rage in which the driver showed a firearm. The vehicle fled before police arrived.

The operator received a summons after police responded to a 4:35 p.m. report of an accident. The vehicle struck a utility pole on Cranebrook Drive.