SALEM — Raymond Wallace, the Salem man charged last week with attempting to escape from custody during a medical appointment at a Boston hospital and shooting a deputy sheriff, was ordered held on $1 million bail yesterday, prosecutors announced.

Wallace, 36, remains hospitalized at Massachusetts General Hospital, recovering from being shot in the chest by another deputy sheriff.

Wallace was arraigned in his hospital bed by Boston Municipal Court Judge Jonathan Tynes, who granted the Suffolk County prosecutor’s bail request. Wallace was already being held without bail in two armed holdups, at the former Borders Books and Music in Peabody and at the PetSmart in Salem, in 2010 and 2011.

Wallace had been expected to accept a judge’s offer of a 13- to 25-year state prison term for the pair of holdups, in which police say that Wallace, wearing a flesh-colored mask, approached employees as the stores were closing, forced them back inside at gunpoint and demanded the contents of cash registers or safes. In both cases, he was charged with burning the cars police say he used in his getaways.

While court and jail officials have described Wallace as a Marblehead resident, he was arrested shortly after the Salem holdup inside the parking area of the Salem condominium he was renting and living in, on Courageous Court. He faced additional firearms charges after guns were found hidden inside of speakers that had been removed from the condo following his arrest.

The two deputies from Middlesex County, where Wallace was being held because of issues with other inmates at the Middleton Jail, were escorting Wallace to and from an appointment at Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary. Wallace was being treated for an eye injury sustained in a fight in jail, prosecutors said.

After the appointment, Wallace was allowed to use the bathroom.

Prosecutors said Wallace, who had been let out of his handcuffs to use the bathroom, managed to get out of his leg restraints while in the restroom. During a struggle, police say Wallace grabbed the gun of Middlesex deputy sheriff Jonathan Persson, who was shot. Persson is recovering at home, according to the Middlesex sheriff’s office.

An automatic not-guilty plea was entered on Wallace’s behalf yesterday to charges of escape, unlawful possession of a firearm, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and assault and battery on a public employee.

While Wallace has had a private attorney, Ray Buso, representing him in the Salem and Peabody cases, a state public defender, David Grimaldi, was appointed to handle his Boston case yesterday.

A pretrial hearing is scheduled for Sept. 4 in Boston Municipal Court.

Courts reporter Julie Manganis can be reached at 978-338-2521, via email at or on Twitter @SNJulieManganis.

Trending Video

Recommended for you