SALEM — Elementary school students recently showed their chess prowess in the annual city Youth Chess Championship.
The annual tournament is held at the Salem library for any student in grades K-5. Winners of the 2019 contest are
- First place: Rylan Workman, grade 5, Witchcraft Heights School
- Second place: Morrison Larrabee, grade 3, Harborlight Montessori
- Third place: Brooks Workman, grade 5, Witchcraft Heights School
- Fourth place: Emilia Petrokas, grade 1, Tower School
- Fifth place: Jacob Kesselman, grade 4, Lynn Woods School
- Sixth place: Luke Jackson, grade 5, Bentley Charter School
- Seventh place: Dante Jacob, grade 4, Bates School
-Eighth place: Julius Jonassaint, grade 5, KIPP Academy Charter
Signups are underway for the Salem Youth Chess Club and next year's Youth Chess Championship, to be held March 28, 2020. Call 978-744-9667 or visit the library, at 370 Essex St., Salem, to register.