PEABODY — Students at Peabody Veterans Memorial High School were dismissed at 1:15 p.m. Wednesday after a heating vent burst, causing water damage.

Mayor Ted Bettencourt said the break occurred in the upstairs culinary arts room. He said the damage was not hazardous but students were dismissed early in order to expedite the repair work.

Bettencourt said athletic events and practices would continue as scheduled on Wednesday, and that he anticipated a full day of school on Thursday.

Staff Writer Paul Leighton can be reached at 978-338-2535, by email at pleighton@salemnews.com, or on Twitter at @heardinbeverly.

Staff Writer Paul Leighton can be reached at 978-338-2535, by email at pleighton@salemnews.com, or on Twitter at @heardinbeverly.

Trending Video

Recommended for you