Looking to combat fake news? Here are some resources to help you determine if what you've read is true:
Politifact is the Pulitzer Prize-winning fact checking operation run by the nonprofit Poynter Institute. The site fact-checks statements by politicians and debunks myriad Facebook hoaxes.
FactCheck.org, run by Annenberg Public Policy Center, performs much of the same tasks, and also let's you ask questions of the fact checkers. A recent question: Did the Supreme Court rule that it is illegal to take the oath of office with anything but the Bible? (The answer is no.)
Snopes is the original fact-checking website. Use the site's search bar to get to the bottom of political statements, viral videos and urban myths.
A Google reverse image search is the best way to find out if that photo you saw making the rounds on Twitter or Facebook is real. This story from PC Magazine walks you through how to do it on your desktop or your phone.
Still need help? Contact us at The Salem News, and we'll get the answer for you, no matter the topic. Email editor David Olson at email@example.com, or give him a call at 978-338-2531.
Check out our series of podcasts on topics from high school football to Halloween in Salem.
This Week's Circulars
Salem - Marie F. Dube, aged 89, passed away peacefully surrounded by family on August 19, 2019. Born in Salem in 1930 to John E. O'Leary and Laura (Dubois) O'Leary, Marie lived in Salem during her formative years, and graduated from St. Mary's High School in 1948. After graduating Marie work…
- Inspection found nursing home 'substandard'
- Manchester resident disputes report that Epstein associate hiding out at home
- Traffic stop turns up guns, cocaine, pills
- Cemetery overload
- Modern Marvels: Peabody High's top male and female athletes of the 21st century ... so far
- Salem teacher dies after fall at equestrian show
- New look for Beverly water tower
- Habitat's ReStore may soon get OK to expand in Peabody
- Developers tout condo plans with new marketing
- Defense in double murder claims witness may have played a role in aftermath