BOSTON (AP) — Organizers of the Boston Marathon, the planet's most celebrated footrace, are postponing the event until Sept. 14 because of concerns over the coronavirus pandemic, Boston Mayor Marty Walsh announced Friday.
SALEM — Property tax bills are set to go up yet again, but city officials say there's a silver lining: it's the lowest bill increase felt by residents in decades.
Their first foray in the famed Marblehead to Halifax Ocean Race in 2015 resulted in a surprising second-place finish in class for the crew of the 38-foot sailboat REVolution.
SALEM — The Bakers Island light station will be getting a new exhibit next year, showing visitors what life was like for a lighthouse keeper there, thanks to a grant from the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Alex Carter has a ritual. He buys his Salem News at his favorite store in Topsfield, Gil's Grocery on Main Street, and checks out the "I Beat Burt" contest entry blank. By midweek he starts plotting the weekend.
SALEM — A pair of outstanding soccer players, Ashley Leboeuf from the women’s team and freshman Mayele Malango of the men’s team, each received the prestigious Salem State President’s Cup trophies awarded to the top female and male athletes at the University during a gala ceremony Monday nig…
HAMILTON — Mother Nature is an opponent that can always frustrate teams. But even in her crosshairs, elite squads must weather the storm to pull out victories — and Pingree's girls lacrosse squad did just that in their home contest against Winsor.
BOSTON — Five quick takes after the Bruins opened the playoffs in dominant fashion by hammering the Maple Leafs, 5-1, in Game 1 of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal series:
The Beverly High School Sports Hall of Fame will be inducing eight new members on Saturday, April 7 at the Danversport Yacht Club. In addition, they will be honoring the 1988 Beverly High football team that went 10-0 in the regular season and became the first squad in school history to make …
BEVERLY — The folks at Endicott College didn’t have to search very far to find a figure they knew could inspire the future students who will live in their latest residence hall.
SWAMPSCOTT — Swampscott football will forfeit this Saturday's game against Saugus and some team members may face disciplinary action over a possible hazing incident last week, school officials said Friday.
BEVERLY — Varsity football will likely move back to Hurd Stadium next fall, but fewer fans will be able to watch. When new bleachers are installed, the number of seats is expected to be cut from 5,000 to 2,000.
Top professional and amateur racers from across North America and throughout Europe, including many former national champions, will again converge on Stage Fort Park for the Rapha Super Cross Gloucester on Sept. 27-28. The two-day competition is also the opening event in the 2014 Verge New E…
- What you need to know about coronavirus
- Concerns for group home residents raised
- Baker tells out-of-state visitors to self-quarantine
- State expands scope of nurse practitioners
- State to extend tax filing deadline
- Councilors approve COVID spending
- Moulton reverses course on China coronavirus resolution
- 'Not a lockdown'
- Beacon Hill bill expands scope of nurse practitioners
- Manufacturer of religious garments now making masks
Check out our series of podcasts on topics from high school football to Halloween in Salem.
This Week's Circulars
- Police: Salisbury bar owner served customers inside after ban
- Ipswich family of 3 hit by SUV while biking
- 'Not a lockdown'
- Cahill wants residents to 'stagger' shopping in Beverly
- 3 positive cases of COVID-19 in Salem
- Driver in Hamilton crash was speeding, police say
- Peabody's COVID-19 cases rise to 4
- Cyclist dies from injuries in Thursday crash
- New normal: Shopping plaza urgent care clinics testing for COVID-19
- 'We're going on a bear hunt...'