Modern Marvels focuses on highlighting the top athletes, with a multi-sport, focus, from each area high school. We choose one boy and one girl with two honorable mentions in each category.
Next up: ESSEX TECH/NORTH SHORE TECH
Boys Athlete of the 21st Century
Class of 2004
• Football, basketball, baseball star received the Salem News Student-Athlete Award in 2004
• 2003 Commonwealth Athletic Conference football MVP led area in scoring with 169 points
• Had 59 total career TDs and is only Bulldog to ever both rush for and pass for 1,000-plus yards
• Three-year varsity football players was adept at reading defense and improvising when pocket broke down
• Helped Bulldogs reach Super Bowl and also defeat Salem High, 38-13
• Two-time CAC all-star in both basketball and baseball (centerfield)
• Beverly resident played football at Plymouth State and had bevy of interceptions there
Class of 2005
• Three-sport force in football, basketball and baseball and won CAC titles in all three
• Member of Bulldogs 1,000-point club in basketball
• Favorite receiving target of QB Kynan Mello on '04 Super Bowl squad
Class of 2019
• Two-sport captain received 2019 Salem News Student-Athlete Award
• First skater in Essex Tech history to reach 100 career points on the ice
• Pitcher and shortstop set career Hawk record with 18 doubles and had .343 career average
Girls Athlete of the 21st Century
Class of 2010
• Three sport league all-star in soccer, basketball, and softball
• Shortstop was four-year starter for softball team, a CAC all-star all four years, helping team win three league championships ('08, '09, '10) along with a vocational title.
• Two time CAC Most Valuable. Coach Joe Balzarini called her "The best player I coached in my 28 years", and said she was a 5-tool player.
• .575 batting average senior year with 46 hits, 38 RBI, and 39 runs scored; hit for power with 7 doubles, 3 triples, 6 home runs
• Guard played 38 games for the Essex Aggie Rams basketball team, averaged 15.3 points per game and scored 583 total points. As a senior played in 19 games, led team in scoring with 16.5 ppg
• Salem News All-Star in all three sports, controlling the midfield in soccer
• *Essex Aggie graduate went on to play 71 softball games at shortstop for UMass Dartmouth with a .300 batting average and knocked in 31 runs; currently a para-professional at Essex Tech and assistant coach in both soccer and softball.
Class of 2019
• Three sport star in soccer (midfield), basketball (guard), softball (centerfielder)
• Burning speed, stole 25 bases and hit .444 as senior; 4 year starter and terrific leadoff hitter; Only struck out 4 times senior year.
• TSalem News and Commonwealth Athletic Conference all-star in all three sports
Class of 2004
• Two sport star in softball (shortstop) and volleyball
• Named CAC Most Valuable Players in both softball and volleyball