Modern Marvels focuses on highlighting the top athletes, with a multi-sport, focus, from each area high school. We choose one boy and one girl with two honorable mentions in each category.
Next up: St. John's Prep
St. John's Prep Athlete of the 21st Century
Class of 2003
• Three sport star from Peabody excelled in football, hockey, and baseball.
• Massachusetts Football Gatorade Player of Year in 2002, leading nationally ranked Eagles to Division 1 Super Bowl appearance.
• Four-year varsity player in all three sport was multi-time Catholic Conference all-star and Eagles Athlete of the Year for 2003.
• Won state title as part of Eagles 2000 baseball team and rode a 28-game hitting streak through parts of three seasons.
• Moynihan Student-Athlete Award winner was inducted into St. John's Prep Hall of Fame in 2015
• Hockey MVP as a senior helped Eagles reach Super 8 in both '99 and '03
• After excellent in baseball at Wake Forest, was drafted 17th by San Diego Padres in 2006 and played professionally for eight years.
• Now an assistant baseball coach at St. John's and owns Antonelli Baseball Academy.
Class of 2011
• Eagles' all-time basketball scoring leader (1,713 points) was Gatorade Massachusetts Basketbal Player of the Year and led St. John's to first and only Division 1 hoop state crown.
• Two-time Catholic Conference all-star in baseball helped squad reach 2009 Division 1 North final
• After playing two sports at Notre Dame, was drafted by both Baltimore Orioles and Brooklyn Nets (traded to Portland); now plays for Milwaukee Bucks.
Class of 2011
• Single season record of 66 points while leading Prep to Super 8 final in 2011 was two-time Salem News Player of the Year.
• Salem News all-star in lacrosse was one of the leading scorers for Eagles 2010 Division 1 state championship squad.
• Played hockey at Harvard before turning pro and making NHL debut with Nashville Predators last year.
Class of 2008
• Two-time All-State soccer selection was All-New England as a senior and key cog on 2006 unbeaten state championship Eagles squad.
• Twice named Salem News volleyball Player of the Year while being team MVP for two Division 1 state title teams.
• Later named NCAA All-American played soccer at Bowdoin.
Class of 2001
• Three-season track star was St. John's Best Athlete of 2001 while winning state titles in the long jump, 100 and 4x100 realy.
• Member of St. John's Prep Hall of Fame graduated with school records in high jump and relays.
• Standout track career at Northeastern followed by achieving Olympic bronze in bobsled.
Class of 2003
• Excellent safety captained 2002 Catholic Conference champs that were nationally ranked in football and reached Super Bowl.
• Tremendous outfielder was Catholic Conference all-star on diamond was also great defenseman and captain of Prep hockey squad.
• All-Big East baseball player at Boston College helped pioneer the Ice Bucket Challenge and is globally recognized as advocate in fight against Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS).